Men's Basketball: Vance Jackson to transfer from program

UConn forward Vance Jackson tries to get position against a Syracuse defender during a game at Madison Square Garden in New Yok, N.Y. on Dec. 5, 2016. (Jackson Haigis, Photo Editor/The Daily Campus)

UConn men’s basketball forward Vance Jackson announced via Twitter this afternoon that he is transferring from the program after just one season in Storrs.

Jackson is the second player to leave the program in less than a week after sophomore forward Steven Enoch requested a release from UConn on Friday.

Throughout the course of the season, Jackson’s father Vance Jackson Sr. frequently took to Twitter to voice his concerns over his son’s playing time and usage. Jackson Sr. echoed those concerns shortly after Jackson announced his decision to transfer with Dave Borges of the New Haven Register.

The 6-foot-8 forward struggled early on but finished the season as an important contributor for the Huskies, averaging 8.1 points and 3.8 rebounds per game while shooting 39.7 percent from the 3-point line. He was named to the American Athletic Conference All-Rookie team this past season.

Jackson entered UConn as a four-star recruit according to ESPN and received scholarship offers from Arizona, Californa and Southern California before signing with the Huskies on Oct. 16, 2015.

The departure of Jackson leaves the Huskies with three open scholarships for next season. 

Associate Sports Editor Tyler Keating contributed to this report.

Dan Madigan is the sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering women's basketball. He can be reached via email at daniel.madigan@uconn.edu. He tweets @dmad1433.