New details released in UConn home invasion case

Isaiah Sydney Colebrook, a UConn student that spent time as a walk-on with the football team, was arrested Friday for a home invasion, robbery and burglary incident that happened in February. (Courtesy/UConn Police Department)

A former walk-on wide receiver for the University of Connecticut’s football team is accused of conspiring with two friends who intended to rob his marijuana dealer at gunpoint and invading and robbing the dealers roommate in February, according to an affidavit released Tuesday.

Isaiah Sydney Colebrook, 18 of Bloomfield, Connecticut, was arrested on March 24 and charged with conspiracy to commit home invasion, home invasion, conspiracy to commit burglary, first-degree burglary, conspiracy to commit larceny, sixth-degree larceny, conspiracy to commit robbery, first-degree robbery and criminal use of FM or electronic devices at approximately 5:04 p.m. in Bloomfield, Connecticut. Colebrook’s bond was set at $200,000.

Tyler Mosby, 19, and Dominique Miller, 18, both of Bloomfield, Connecticut were arrested on Feb. 7 for their involvement in the incident.

Mosby was charged with home invasion, first-degree burglary, first-degree robbery, criminal use of a firearm and criminal use of FM or electronic devices. His bond was set at $200,000.

Miller was charged with home invasion, first-degree burglary, first-degree robbery and criminal use of FM or electronic devices. His bond was set at $200,000.

Colebrook was a walk-on wide receiver for the football team for two weeks before he left the team voluntarily, UConn Athletics spokesman Mike Enright said. Colebrook never played in a game, but he was on the roster at the beginning of the season, Aug. 1.

Colebrook’s name was removed from the roster sometime before Aug. 31. As of publication, he’s still listed as No. 87 on UConn Athletics’ website. 

An earlier police blotter showed that Mosby and Miller were the two other individuals involved in the incident. The newly released police report has blacked their names out in the document.

In the affidavit, UCPD Detective James Curtis describes the night of the crime as follows:

On the night of Feb. 6, Colebrook met with Miller and Mosby. Colebrook told police Mosby and Miller were friends from Bloomfield after originally denying that he knew them. They met Colebrook after they inquired about purchasing marijuana, according to the affidavit.

In Colebrook’s dorm room, Mosby asked if Colebrook could see a bulge in his sweatshirt where he was concealing a gun. Colebrook responded that he could not.

Two other witnesses who were in Colebrook’s room on the night of the incident report overhearing this conversation.

Colebrook told Miller and Mosby he knew someone who sold marijuana and they walked to that individual’s residence.

Colebrook told Miller and Mosby that his dealer was not home but his roommate was.

Colebrook reported that he overheard Miller and Mosby planning to enter the room and take the marijuana and Colebrook told them it was not worth it.

Colebrook reported that he watched Miller and Mosby force their way into the room before leaving the area.

One of the other individuals involved reported that as the evening progressed, Colebrook discussed “doing something” to the individual who sold him marijuana.

Colebrook told Mosby and Miller that the complainant kept marijuana in a protein powder bottle.

Colebrook told Mosby and Miller that he did not want to be seen in the room.

One of the residents of the dorm who was present when Miller and Mosby arrived reported that one of the individuals pulled cash out of his pocket and told the resident he could buy marijuana from him.

The resident responded that he did not sell nor have marijuana.

The individual then picked up a Creatine bottle and took out a bag containing approximately half an ounce of marijuana.

The individuals proceeded to open several dresser drawers and take cash out of them, later estimated to be approximately $430.

At one point during the robbery, Mosby displayed the firearm, a silver gun with a black handle and silver hammer, that he had been concealing in his sweatshirt pocket.

Mosby reported that he was “pump faking” and only wanted the resident to believe he was armed.

Mosby and Miller left the room and told the witness not to call anyone.

The resident texted his roommate to explain what had just happened and reported the incident to UCPD.

The complainant later issued a statement saying he had sold marijuana to Colebrook five to seven times in the past.

Mosby’s trial will be April 7 and Miller’s will be March 31. The cases were continued from their original date of Feb. 8.

Colebrook is scheduled to appear in court on April 4.

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.