What’s new on Netflix in April

There are a total of 25 new titles coming in April, including some returning favorites, such as “The Get Down: Part 2,” the story of some talented NYC kids in the 1970s, on April 7 as well as Chelsea Handler’s late-night style talk show, “Chelsea,” which was renewed for a second season and will premiere on April 14. (Wikimedia Commons)

We all know that April showers bring May flowers and what better way to spend those rainy (and, if you live in Storrs, windy) days than inside watching Netflix. Netflix has been putting heavy emphasis on original content, which is apparent this month. They’ve also been trying to pay closer attention to viewer feedback and requests, so check out what’s coming and going on Netflix this month and see if your favorites made the cut.

If you’re interested in Netflix originals, there are a total of 25 new titles coming in April, including some returning favorites, such as “The Get Down: Part 2,” the story of some talented NYC kids in the 1970s, on April 7 as well as Chelsea Handler’s late-night style talk show, “Chelsea,” which was renewed for a second season and will premiere on April 14. Adam Sandler continues his four-movie contract with Netflix with the release of “Sandy Wexler,” also on April 14. Bill Nye gets a modern platform with “Bill Nye Saves the World” on April 21. The controversial series “Dear White People” will be airing on April 28.

For those that prefer older movies, however, Netflix is adding its fair share of cult-classics this month such as “The Nightmare on Elm Street” (1984) and "Gremlins" (1984). “Schindler’s List” (1993), the Academy-Award winning World War II drama can also be viewed on Netlifx in April.

Also being added are a fair share of kids movies, both new and old, such as the animated story of our favorite patriotic mouse “An American Tail” (1986) with both of its sequels and Scooby Doo (2002), “Disney’s The BFG” (2016) based on the novel by Roald Dahl, the claymation film “Kubo and the Two Strings” (2016) and “The Secret Life of Pets” (2016).

For feel good movies, check out “Cool Runnings” (1993) the inspirational true story of the Jamaican Olympic bobsled team, “The Trouble with the Curve” (2012) and “Something’s Gotta Give” (2003).   

Comedies being added to the site this month include “Tropic Thunder” (2008) and the recent Jack Black film “The D Train” (2015) as well as a handful of stand-up performances from comedians such as Kevin Hart.

With all the movies being added, some have to go, so now is your last chance to watch favorites like “Ally McBeal,” “Bones,” “Buffy The Vampire Slayer,” “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” “House, M.D.,” “The X-Files,” “The Princess Bride,” “The Usual Suspects,” as well as multiple Superman movies.

For a full list of the movies being added and removed from Netflix, please visit hollywoodreporter.com.

Julia Mancini is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at Julia.mancini@uconn.edu.