Baseball: Huskies head to Fairfield for midweek matchup

The Huskies defeat the Fairfield College Stags 2-1 April 12, 2016 at J.O. Christian Field. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

After another home game was canceled due to unplayable field conditions, the UConn baseball team will make the short trip to Fairfield for a midweek matchup with the Stags Wednesday. The Huskies were scheduled to play Boston College on Tuesday in their home opener, but with the cancellation, UConn will have to wait until April 4 for their first home game.

Wednesday’s game at Fairfield will be the first game played at newly renovated Alumni Diamond. It will be the Huskies’ second game of the season in Connecticut and the first of the year for the Stags.

UConn (12-9) is coming off a series win at Seton Hall, taking two of three from the Pirates despite a last minute schedule change moving the games from Storrs to South Orange, New Jersey. The Huskies were led by dominant pitching, giving up just four combined runs in the three games including a 4-0 shutout in Sunday’s rubber game.

Sophomore catcher Zac Susi and junior third baseman Willy Yahn also played a big role in both of UConn’s wins. On Friday, Susi plated Yahn as part of a two-run double that was the Huskies’ only source of runs in the game. In Sunday’s game, Yahn ripped a two-run double of his own and was then driven in by a Susi single as part of the 4-0 win.

Fairfield (7-11) comes into their home opener fresh off a double-header sweep of Rider. After losing the first game of the three-game series, the Stags came back with two wins on Saturday, 1-0 and 9-1.

In the 1-0 victory, Fairfield junior Gavin Wallace (4-1) threw his second consecutive nine-inning shutout to earn the victory. Wallace struck out seven, allowed just five hits and zero walks in an impressive performance. The outing was good enough for Wallace to be named the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference pitcher of the week for the third time in just over a month. Fortunately for the Huskies, they will likely avoid the Stags’ ace on Wednesday afternoon.

Offensively, Fairfield is led by Kevin Radziewicz, a junior catcher from Cromwell, Connecticut. Radziewicz leads the team in average (.348), hits (24) and RBI (10). The Stags have only hit two home runs this season, but have stolen 21 bases to their opponents’ 11.

The game is scheduled to begin at 3 p.m. Wednesday.

Josh Buser is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.buser@uconn.edu.