Men’s Basketball: UConn hires Raphael Chillious as associate head coach

Washington assistant coach Raphael Chillious applauds the team effort at basketball practice Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2013, in Seattle. (Elaine Thompson/AP)

UConn men’s basketball head coach Kevin Ollie has hired former University of Washington associate head coach Raphael Chillious to serve in the same role on his staff, the university athletic department confirmed Tuesday.

“We are very fortunate to be able to add Raphael Chillious to our coaching staff,” Ollie said in a release. “He is a high-level recruiter, but that is far from the only thing he brings to us. He has been involved in many aspects of the college game and has so much experience – he’s been a coach for a long time, he’s worked with Nike  … I love his energy, his developmental skills and his knowledge of the game, offensively and defensively. Wherever he’s been, he’s created a culture that is a winning culture.”

Chillious will replace Glen Miller, who left the associate head coach role Saturday after five years serving under Ollie.

Chillious was promoted to the associate head coach role last year under former Washington head coach Lorenzo Romar, who was recently fired. He served as one of the program’s leading recruiters, and helped to land five-star commit Markelle Fultz, who is expected to be one of the top three picks in the 2017 NBA Draft.

Ollie and Chillious have known each other for more than 20 years.

“We’ve known each other since I was in the CBA and we’ve been friends ever since,” Ollie said. “He knows how to develop players. He’s a coach who can get players ready for the NBA, not only professionally on the court, but professionally off the court as well. I’m grateful that the timing was right for us to work together on a professional level.”

At UConn, he will join a historic program coming off a season that ranks as one of its worst all-time in winning percentage.  

“It’s going to sound cliché, but the thing that made UConn attractive to me is UConn --- one of the best brand names in college basketball, four national championships,” Chillious said. “Historically, UConn recruits high-level student-athletes and produces big-time pros.

Chillious has served as head coach at Nottingham Academy in Maryland and South Kent School in Connecticut and also spent a year under Jay Wright at Villanova.

Tyler Keating is associate sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering men’s basketball. He can be reached via email at tyler.keating@uconn.edu. He tweets @tylerskeating.