Busby burglary report meant to heighten safety awareness

The Police and Fire Departments are located adjacent to Northwest Campus across from the Visitor's Center. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

The UConn Police Department sent out an email on Monday night warning students of a burglary that took place in Busby Suites on Sunday morning.

“On March 26, 2017 at approximately 5:30 am, a male entered a resident’s room and attempted to get into bed with the female resident. The female was alarmed and pushed the male out of the room. The female was not hurt during the incident,” the alert said.

The offender is a white male, described as tall and wearing blue checkered boxer shorts. The male’s name may begin with the letter “B”, possibly “Brian” or “Brendan,” according to the email.

The alert labeled the incident as a “burglary into a dormitory room.”

“An incident is labeled as a burglary when someone enters a room unlawfully with the intent to commit any number of different crimes,” said Police Chief Hans Rhynhart. “We defined it as a burglary because that’s what was reported. The crime was not labeled as a sexual assault because that’s not how it was reported to us,” Rhynhart said.

Rhynhart said that the alert was not sent out until Monday night because the police station needed to speak with the person who was directly affected before they were able to share the information with the UConn community.

UConn students expressed their concern over the way the situation was handled.

“The defined term ‘burglary’ may lightly describe the situation, but I felt like it was very inadequate. Unfortunately we don’t have more detail, but if the alert was sent out the day of the incident students living in the dorm building would have possibly been able to assist with the matter immediately,” said eighth-semester marine science major Normandy Avery.

Avery also expressed her frustration since the alert was sent over 24 hours after the reported time of the incident, and said that it led her to believe that UConn isn’t taking the situation as seriously as they should.

The message was approved for campus-wide distribution by Rhynhart. It was sent out to heighten students’ safety awareness by providing community members with information necessary to take appropriate precautions, enabling students to take actions to help increase their safety, and aiding in the prevention of similar crimes, according to the email.

The notice does not mean there has been an increase in crime or that any specific crime pattern exists, the email said.

Gabriella Debenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.