Men’s basketball looks to close out season with a win on Senior Day

Jalen Adams (2) completes a layup during the Huskies loss to SMU on Feb. 25, 2016 at the XL Center in Hartford. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

Time and Place: 12 p.m. Sunday, March 5 at the Gampel Pavilion

Where to Watch: CBS Sports Network, channel 67 on the HuskyVision cable listing

Last Meeting: UConn lost 82-68 on Feb. 4, 2017 at Fifth Third Arena in Cincinnati. The Huskies are 13-9 all-time against the Bearcats

UConn’s Last Time Out: 66-62 loss at East Carolina at Minges Coliseum on March 1, 2017

Cincinnati’s Last Time Out: 65-47 win over Houston on March 2, 2017

Projected Starting Lineups: UConn (14-15, 9-8 The American) vs. Cincinnati (26-4, 15-2 The American)

G: Jalen Adams vs. Troy Caupain

Adams, despite suffering an ankle injury in UConn’s previous contest against SMU, played all 40 minutes against ECU, but shot 5-for-15 from the floor and 1-for-5 from 3-point range, amassing 12 points. Caupain fared similarly, scoring 11 points on 4-for-10 overall shooting against Houston last night.

G: Rodney Purvis vs. Jacob Evans

Purvis has been struggling in his last few games, and the streak continued with a 3-for-15 shooting performance against ECU, including going 3-for-9 from three in 40 minutes of play. Evans played half as many minutes against Houston last night, scoring seven points on 3-for-5 overall shooting.

C/F: Amida Brimah vs. Kyle Washington

Brimah had another quiet offensive day versus ECU, going 2-for-4 from the floor, but he shot 4-for-4 from the free throw line and grabbed nine boards. Washington struggled against the Cougars, scoring just nine points on 3-for-11 shooting, and pulled down seven boards.

F: Kentan Facey vs. Gary Clark  

Facey recorded his seventh double-double of the season against ECU, shooting 8-for-14 from the free throw line and 3-for-7 from the field to score 12 points, as well as grabbing a team-best 11 rebounds. Clark had the best performance for the Bearcats, scoring 14 points on 5-for-9 shooting and recording seven rebounds.  

F: Vance Jackson vs. Kevin Johnson  

Jackson had an average day against ECU, going 3-for-4 from the field, 2-for-3 from three and 2-for-4 from the free throw line to amass 10 points. Johnson did not have a great game, scoring just seven points on 3-for-8 shooting, including making one of four 3-point attempts.

Talking Points

Farewell seniors: Sunday’s contest marks not only the last regular season game for UConn this season, but it is also Senior Day. Rodney Purvis, Amida Brimah, Kentan Facey and Mike Noyes are all playing their last regular season home game in a Husky uniform; although they still get to play in front of a home crowd during the American Athletic Conference tournament in Hartford. Brimah is the last player remaining from the 2014 team that won a national championship.

More injuries? Who knew?: After the injuries had slowed down a bit for the Huskies, all three remaining scholarship guards—Purvis, Adams and Christian Vital—suddenly suffered an injury in some capacity before their game versus ECU: Purvis hurt his finger in pregame shoot around, Adams hurt his ankle, and Vital suffered a concussion in practice, sidelining him completely against East Carolina.

Anything you can do, Cincy can do better: The Bearcats lead many offensive and defensive categories in the conference. They rank first in offense (75.3 points per game) and field goal percentage (46.4 percent), as well as the greatest scoring margin at +14.2. On the defensive side, they lead the conference in blocked shots (5.6), assists (16.9), steals (7.7) and have the best turnover/assist ratio at 1.6.

Stephanie Sheehan is the associate managing editor for The Daily Campus, covering men’s basketball. She can be reached via email at stephanie.sheehan@uconn.edu. She tweets @steph_sheehan.