Softball: Huskies prepare for weekend clash in South Carolina

UConn softball returns to action this Saturday as they head to Conway, South Carolina to take on Northern Kentucky. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

UConn softball is heading down to Conway, South Carolina this weekend to take on Northern Kentucky (0-5) on Saturday at 10 a.m. and Sunday at 12 p.m. They will also face Coastal Carolina (12-3) at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday and North Dakota (7-8) at 9:30 a.m. on Sunday.

Senior Valerie Sadowl has been a star for the Huskies (3-5), batting .444 through the first eight games of the season. She was just named to the American Athletic Conference honor roll for the second straight week.

Sadowl said that she appreciates the honor.

“It feels pretty good,” Sadowl said. “It’s always good to get recognized by the conference, especially because we are in such a tough conference…it’s a great honor.”

Sadowl said that she will continue to work hard and not worry about her hot streak.

“(I) just have to stay hungry and not try to focus on the outcome,” Sadowl said. “(I will) just keep working in practice and not worry about staying hot.”

Sadowl said the team has things to work on before the series this weekend.

“Mostly we are working on cleaning up on defensive things and communication,” Sadowl said. “Once we clean that up, I think we are going to be really good for the rest of the season.”

This past weekend, the Huskies committed two costly errors against Florida Atlantic in their 5-0 loss.

Coach Jen McIntyre said that fixing errors is definitely something the team is working on.

“(It’s) definitely something that has been a focus for us, is the errors,” McIntyre said. “When (we) play really good teams, we can’t give them more than three outs in an inning. When (we) do, good teams will take advantage of it.”

McIntyre was happy with the fight that she saw last weekend against stiff competition.

“I was really proud with all that grit that they showed,” McIntyre said. “We went toe-to-toe with some very tough opponents all weekend. So, for us to battle and get through it, I thought was pretty good.”

Looking forward to this weekend’s matchup against Coastal Carolina, McIntyre expects a difficult matchup.

“I anticipate that it’s going to be a very tough matchup,” McIntyre said. “They definitely have a lot of pieces working in their favor. They’ve got good pitching this year; they really have some homerun potential throughout their order. It’s definitely something that we are going to be prepared for. We are looking forward to the challenge and (we will) try to get after it.”

Despite the fact that Northern Kentucky has not won a game yet, McIntyre will not overlook them.

“We don’t overlook anybody…I know that (Northern Kentucky) will be prepared and I know that they are going to be ready to play,” McIntyre said. “Records at this point don’t mean anything. As soon as the first pitch goes in, it’s a dog fight for 21 outs. We are looking forward to the battle.”

Michael Logan is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.