Spring break destinations for the last-minute planner

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina ranked as No. 1 in USA Today’s 10 Best Readers’ Choice Poll For “Best Spring Break Destinations.” (Angie DeRosa/The Daily Campus)

It’s hard to believe that spring break starts next weekend. Between cramming for midterms and generally surviving college, planning the ultimate spring break vacation may not have been on the top of your to-do list. But have no fear, you can still plan the perfect getaway within seven days.

Here are four destinations you can go to without breaking the bank. Just gather your friends, pack your bags and start driving.

Lake Champlain, VT

A post shared by Evie DeRosa (@eviederosa) on

Burlington, VT

Travel Time: 4 hours, 9 minutes

Spring break doesn’t have to only consist of being by the beach all day.  Burlington is located along Lake Champlain with views of the Adirondack Mountains. It is the perfect escape from the daily hustle and bustle of everyday life to reconnect with nature.  Home to the University of Vermont and creation of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, you’ll never be bored. You can shop till you drop with the dozens upon dozens of retail stores in Church Street Marketplace, or maybe you’d rather rent a bike or sailboat and go for ride. Burlington also has a thriving night scene with countless music venues and bars.

Views

A post shared by Angie DeRosa (@theangiederosa) on

Washington, D.C.

Travel Time:  6 hours, 20 minutes

The great thing about D.C. is that you get all the benefits of being in a city, without the overcrowded feeling. During the day, walk around the National Mall and see all of the statues and monuments or visit one of the many free Smithsonian museums. Our nation’s capital isn’t all politics and American history, in fact D.C. knows how to party. Spend your nights barhopping up and down U Street Corridor or Adams Morgan.

Myrtle Beach, SC

Travel Time: 12 hours, 50 minutes

If you’re looking for a stereotypical spring break, Myrtle Beach is the place for you. It is very popular for college students to visit during this time of year, being ranked No. 1 in USA Today’s 10 Best Readers’ Choice Poll For “Best Spring Break Destinations.”  Many nightclubs and bars host parties and have special drink deals for spring breakers specifically.

Montreal, Quebec

Travel Time: 5 hours, 40 minutes

If you’ve previously read my traveling guide series, you’d know that I recently spent time in this Canadian city. Montreal is a prime spring break go-to for college students, and for good reason. (Fun fact: The legal drinking age is 18, readers). Whether you want to spend the week bouncing around nightclubs, or admiring the European charm, there is something for everyone. For specific things to do or see, read my guide on dailycampus.com.

Angie DeRosa is the life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at angelina.derosa@uconn.edu.  She tweets @theangiederosa.