UConn's spring concert predictions

The Student Union Board of Governors (SUBOG) have been dropping hints all week on their social media accounts about who this year's spring concert will be. Members of the life section make their predictions on what artist they think will be next. SUBOG will reveal the artist early next week.

Here are all the clues that have been released so far:

The Predictions:

Kendrick Lamar

Chris Hanna, Staff Writer

American rapper and songwriter, Kendrick Lamar performed at UConn in 2013. (Kim Erlandsen/Creative Commons Flickr)

The clues SUBOG has given thus far don't give me a lot of confidence in any one artist, but if I had to guess the Spring Concert act this year, it would be Kendrick Lamar. Yes, UConn has already brought Kendrick to perform in the past, but the clue of the Eiffel Tower directly correlates with his song “Backseat Freestyle,” in which he says “I pray my d**k gets as big as the Eiffel Tower, so I can f**k the world for 72 hours.” Also, in his SNL performance of “i,” Kendrick screams “Y G chicken wings,” which could relate to SUBOG’s chicken wing clue. I'm not saying it's likely that Lamar performs on Spring Weekend, given he’s performed at UConn in the past, but the clues are definitely there.

Migos

Schae Beaudoin, Staff Writer

Migos may have hinted they are coming to UConn through their music video "Cross the Country." (Photo courtest of Rolling Stone)

SUBOG’s clues could be references to Migos music videos. In the video for “Cross the Country,” the trio visted Paris and shots of the Eiffel Tower are sprinkled throughout, connecting it with the Eiffel Tower picture SUBOG posted. Migos’ latest video, “T-Shirt,” heavily references “The Revenant,” with snow all over the ground, hence the “Winter Weekend” video SUBOG posted on Facebook. SUBOG’s picture of chicken wings and blue cheese seems to reference the lyric in “Bad and Boujee,” “Gettin’ that chicken with blue cheese.” Migos’ tour schedule is also suspiciously empty in April, suggesting a spring college tour similar to Fetty Wap’s last year.

The Chainsmokers

Lauren Brown, Staff Writer

The EDM group, the Chainsmokers, draw huge crowds after making it big with hits such as "Paris" and "Closer." (Chris Graffeo/Creative Commons Flickr)

SUBOG’s first clue, the Eiffel Tower, was helpful in narrowing down possible artists. My first guess was The Chainsmokers, because of their hit song “Paris.” Although the Spring Concert doesn’t usually feature EDM groups, The Chainsmokers would draw a huge crowd, especially after the success of Big Gigantic’s performance earlier this semester. I also agree with everyone about Migos, especially because of the buffalo wing clue released earlier today. There have been references to wings in several of their songs, so it is very likely that he will also be performing, if not headlining, the Spring Concert.

Headliner: Migos, Opener: French Montana

Teddy Craven, Campus Correspondent

Hip-hop recording artist, French Montana, was born in Morocoo and immigrated to the U.S. when he was 13 years old. (Photo courtesy of Speakerpedia) 

I agree with Schae that the headliner is going to be Migos. After hours of deep investigative work I have found that Takeoff, Migos’ least known member, is obsessed with chicken. In the third verse of “Kelly Price” he raps, “Two piece chicken wing without the fries (fries)”, and in the hook of “Call Casting” he ponders, “How many chickens? You can get ‘em whichever way/ N***a, trap turned Zaxby’s.” Drug dealing references aside, there is no doubt that this man enjoys chicken, and that is why the chicken wing clue points towards the Atlanta trio. As for the Winter Concert clue, it is a clear reference to the fact that all of Migos’ jewelry will be iced out, possibly causing it to snow. The Eiffel Tower clue was the first clue, so I assumed it was in regards to the opener, and French Montana was all I had for that one.

Chris Hanna is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.hanna@uconn.edu. He tweets @realchrishanna.

Schae Beaudoin is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at schae.beaudoin@uconn.edu.

Lauren Brown is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lauren.brown@uconn.edu.

Teddy Craven is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at edward.craven_jr@uconn.edu.