Women’s lacrosse looks ahead to UMass

Midfielder Kelsey Catalano flings the ball across the field during Huskies 13-9 victory over UNH on Sunday, Feb. 26, 2017 at the Sherman Family Sports Complex. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s lacrosse team will face UMass in a match on Sunday at 1 p.m.

The Huskies are currently 2-2 on the season and will be facing a UMass team that is much better than their 1-3 record shows. Two of their losses have been to ranked teams: No. 17 BC and No. 5 Syracuse.

The player to watch on UMass is senior midfielder Hannah Murphy. Murphy was named a Preseason Second Team All American and was named to the 2017 Tewaaraton Watch List. The Tewaaraton is the sport’s highest collegiate honor. Murphy is averaging 1.75 goals per game and 2.50 points per game. So far in her career she has recorded 334 draws, which is tied for 10th all-time in NCAA history.

UConn head coach Katie Woods was specific when talking about what her team needs to improve on before the UMass game.

“Our stick work has to be better. I think not only should we be setting each other up for a little bit more success but … individually we have to be able to handle any kind of ball that comes our way,” Woods said.

The last time these two teams met was March 12 of last year. UConn lost that game 15-6 at home.

UConn is still learning to work together and gel as a team.

“I think, (the team coming together) is good, I think it can be better,” Woods said. “We’re four games in, we really want to hit our stride when we get to conference, but I think these are great opportunities. It’s just a matter of if we learn from them and come together a bit more every day.”

UMass head coach Angela McMahon served as head coach at UConn from 2009-10. The season prior to her arrival in Storrs, UConn had a 1-15 record. She was able to bring the Huskies back to a winning season in 2010 with a 9-8 record. During her time at UMass, she has led the team to six Atlantic 10 Tournament Titles and six appearances in the NCAA tournament.

The UConn Huskies will face UMass at 1 p.m. on Sunday in Amherst, Mass.

Mariana Dominguez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.