Lazy Boy on Campus: The official soundtrack

"Lazy Boy On Campus" is a weekly column on how to embrace laziness while maintaining a jam packed schedule. Easy, right?

This week's Lazy Boy column provides a baseline playlist perfect for days spent hanging out and being lazy. The playlist can be adapted to fit any listening style. (Kaboompics/Creative Commons)

What’s up, everybody? Your resident Lazy Boy is back once again to talk with you about being lazy on campus while also keeping your life in balance. Coming into this week, I had absolutely no idea what I was going to write. Then my editor stepped in with an amazing idea. What’s something we all probably do on a daily basis? Go to class, eat a meal, sleep… and more than likely listen to music. I’ve spent the better part of the past few months telling you guys exactly how to live your lives without burning yourself out. Today I’m going to give you a soundtrack to go along with that kind of lifestyle.

Below I’ve included nine songs that seem to sneak their way into all of my hangout, lazy-day playlists. This shouldn’t be taken as a complete playlist by any means but instead as a framework for you to adapt into your lazy lifestyle of your own. As I’ve said many times before, only you know yourself best. If some of these songs aren’t the best for you to jam to then feel free to, change them out and build yourself something that helps you chill out. Let’s get started.

1. “Welcome Home, Son” - Radical Face: This is a fun acoustic indie song that just seems to refresh me whenever I have trouble or need to think about something. Radical Face makes a lot of different music, but all of have the same indie refreshing vibe. This song just happens to be my favorite one of all time.

2. “Jesus Walks” - Kanye West: It’s not a good playlist unless it has Kanye on it. Almost everything Kanye makes is great but this song is just a little bit better. It has a great driving beat that carries you through the song and keeps the song from dropping. Some say that playlists need to rise and fall. This song keeps you on the rise the entire time.

3. “Paris” - The Chainsmokers: Before starting, let me just say this: I think that The Chainsmokers are one of the most overrated groups ever. I think that almost all of their songs sounds the same and their lyrics make almost no sense. That being said Paris is a really catchy and relaxing song and if you are going to put a song by The Chainsmokers into a playlist this would the one.

4. “Canon” - Zox: This one is a little out there in comparison to what most people listen to. Canon is a variation to the popular wedding song Pachelbel’s Canon. Zox twists the song by mixing in rock instruments like the guitar and drums to accompany the violin. Oh yeah, did I mention the violin is an electric one? The song is perfect to vibe out to and forget about everything that is going on.

5. “Sympathy for the Devil” - The Rolling Stones: Who doesn’t love the Rolling Stones? This song has a super laidback vibe to it. In the middle there is a little (but awesome) guitar riff that keeps you from falling asleep without ruining your chilling and relaxing.

6. “Toronto (unabridged)” - Silverstein: Silverstein is my favorite band of all time. They perform a lot of alternative rock and punk music, also some screamo if that’s your thing. That being said, this song airs more towards the alt-rock side of things. It has some cools rifts and has a nice buildup to the end. The song also talks about returning to a city that is changing. For me this song is a reminder to always take a moment to slow down and just watch the world change so we don’t get caught up in it.

7. “Forest Whittaker” - Bad Books: I first heard this song during the last season of “How I Met Your Mother.” It’s a song about people changing and how lives break apart. As we all work our way through college and prepare for graduation it’s important that we think about these things. The people who are important to us should not be forgotten.

8. “What’s My Age Again?” - Blink 182: Everyone loves Blink-182 and this song is a favorite on whatever playlist you put it on. It’s also a bit of a reminder not to take life too seriously. We are all expected to grow up during college and become mature. Just make sure that as you do that, you don’t lose track of who you used to be.

9. “Hey Asshole” - Watsky: Yes I know that the name is not PG. But the song is great. It’s happy and upbeat. The song is a great way to give a big FU to all the work that you are putting off or avoiding doing. It’s also really fun to listen to in public.

So like I said, this playlist should only be viewed as a framework for your lazy day or activity. After all it’s only 38 minutes long. That is more than likely not long enough for you to be lazy. That being said if you need a quick pick-me-up, this playlist will do the trick.

Amar Batra is a senior staff photographer and opinion’s staff columnist for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email amar.batra@uconn.edu. He tweets at @amar_batra19.