Softball: UConn prepares for home opener and the beginning of conference play

UConn begins conference play at home this weekend against USF. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

UConn softball is set to begin conference play against USF this weekend, with games Friday at 3 p.m., Saturday at 2 p.m. and Sunday at 12 p.m.

There has been some snow forecasted for the weekend, so the team will have to cross their fingers.

“It’s just part of being in the Northeast,” McIntyre said. “We have a lot of contingency plans already in place. … We are at the mercy of Mother Nature, but we will do everything we can to get it in.”

UConn stifled Bryant Wednesday, winning two games and pulling their record to 11-14. Jill Stockley, Katie Koshes and Kayla Doty all pitched effectively – not to mention that Koshes and Doty combined for the team’s first no-hitter since 2015, when Lauren Duggan did it against Hartford.

McIntyre said the pitching has been working successfully as a unit.

“The whole pitching staff has done a great job,” McIntyre said. “I think one of the biggest things that we have taught them is that they operate as a staff.”

South Florida (20-18) is coming off a sweep against Tulsa to begin conference play, but they have a strong group that will provide UConn with a good matchup.

“USF is actually a very interesting team this year,” McIntyre said. “We’ve looked at a lot of their stats and scouting reports – and we are going to matchup very similarly. It’s almost like we are playing ourselves … I think it’s going to be a great series.”

Between the two games, the Huskies managed to get 20 hits, with 14 coming in the second game. Kiwi McDaniel led the team with four hits, but Chloe Kerns had the big home run which put the Huskies up 2-0 on the way to a 2-1 victory.

McIntyre said it was important for the offense to get out there and that their performance should help their confidence.

“It was great. They really just need live at-bats,” McIntyre said. “It was just a matter of getting them back in the dirt. It had been 10 days since we have been out there.”

Cheyenne Eggens leads USF with a 2.04 ERA in 61.2 innings of work. The Huskies will have to keep the bats hot for when they face her.  

McIntyre said that the offense is getting right at the perfect time.

“Offense is contagious both ways, hot and cold,” McIntyre said. “So when you’re hot, get around each other and when you’re cold, get as far away from each other as you can. Fortunately, we got hot at the right time.”        

Michael Logan is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.