Women's Basketball: Auriemma named 2016-17 AP and USBWA Coach of the Year

UConn coach Geno Auriemma fields questions from the press Thursday afternoon ahead of the Huskies’ Friday matchup with Mississippi State at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas. (Jackson Haigis/The Daily Campus)

DALLAS— For the ninth time in his illustrious career, head coach Geno Auriemma was named the Associated Press women’s basketball Coach of the Year Thursday afternoon at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas.

Auriemma guided the Huskies to a 36-0 record this season and the program’s 10th-consecutive Final Four appearance despite losing the star trio of Breanna Stewart, Moriah Jefferson and Morgan Tuck. With UConn’s 90-52 win over No. 10 Oregon in the Bridgeport regional final, Auriemma past Pat Summit to become the all-time leader in NCAA tournament wins with 113.

A win over Mississippi State would give Auriemma his fifth-straight national championship game appearance and a shot at his 12th career championship.

Washington’s Kelsey Plum took home the Associated Press Player of the Year to cap off a historic senior season. The consensus AP first-team All-American averaged 31.7 points this season and finished her four-year career as the NCAA’s all-time scoring leader with 3,527 points, shattering Jackie Stiles’ previous record of 3,393.

Auriemma took home yet another Coach of the Year award Friday afternoon when he was named the the 2016-17 United States Basketball Writers Association Coach of the Year Award. It markedt the sixth time in his career that he had won the award. 

Dan Madigan is the sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering women's basketball. He can be reached via email at daniel.madigan@uconn.edu. He tweets @dmad1433.