Women's Basketball: Getting to know the other stars

South Carolina forward A'ja Wilson celebrates with teammate Allisha Gray during the Gameocks' practice Thursday morning at the American Airlines Center in Dallas. (Jackson Haigis/The Daily Campus)

DALLAS— With the Final Four set to start Friday night, get to know some of UConn’s potential opponents and standout players to watch for on the other three teams playing this weekend in Dallas.

Stanford

Brittany McPhee, junior forward

13.4 points per game, 4.9 rebounds per game, 45.3 percent from the field

Her best game this tournament came against Notre Dame as McPhee had a game-high 27 points on 10-17 shooting from the field and 5-9 from behind the arc. The 27 points was the second highest for her this season and her five made three-pointers tied her season high.

McPhee is one of two players (Napheesa Collier) averaging 19.0 points, 5.8 rebounds, 3.8 assists, 1.5 blocks and 1.5 steals in this year’s NCAA tournament.

Erica McCall, senior forward

14.4 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 44.9 percent from the field.

In the tournament, McCall’s scoring has dropped to 12.8 points per game but she has raised both her rebounding average to 10.3 per game and is shooting a more efficient 46.7 percent from the field. This tournament her best performance came against Texas in the Sweet 16, as she had 23 points and 12 rebounds on 9-14 shooting.

This season McCall was named to the All-Pac 12 team and was named a CoSIDA Second Team Academic All-American.

Mississippi State

Morgan William, junior guard

10.9 ppg, 4.6 assists per game, 47.3 percent from the field.

In this Friday, March 24, 2017 photo, Mississippi State guard Morgan William (2) drives past Washington guard Aarion McDonald (2) during a regional semifinal of the NCAA women's college basketball tournament. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)

William submitted the best game of her career against Baylor in the Elite 8 dishing out a seven assists and scoring a career-high 41 points. In the win she set the record for points, made field goals and three-point field goal makes in a NCAA tournament game.

After her seven assists against Baylor, William’s became the school's all-time lead for career assists, as the Bulldogs mercurial offense flows through the junior guard.

Teaira McCowan, sophomore center

8.7 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 57.5 percent from the field.

McCowan is listed at 6-foot-7, making her the tallest player left in the tournament. Her best performance came in the Sweet 16 against Washington she had 26 points, 12 rebounds and six blocks in the win.

She will be going against Gabby Williams and Napheesa Collier, and it will be interesting to see how far her size will go against the athleticism and speed of the UConn bigs.

South Carolina

South Carolina forward A'ja Wilson reacts after being called for a charging foul during the second half against Florida State in a regional final game of the women's NCAA college basketball tournament, Monday, March 27, 2017.(AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli)

A’ja Wilson, junior forward

17.9 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 59.2 percent from the field.

The 6-foot-5 Wilson is an impact player in the post and was named a first-team AP and USWBA All-American for her performance this season. The left-handed Wilson can score in a variety of ways and is arguably the most dominant player in the Final Four field.

Kaela Davis, junior guard

13 ppg, 1.9 assists per game, 38.7 percent from the field

Davis has been hot as of late, scoring at least 20 points in the Gamecocks’ last three games, including a 28-point performance in the Sweet 16 win over Quinnipiac. Davis is also shooting 47 percent (7-15) from the three-point line in her last three games, adding more spacing and shooting to an already dangerous South Carolina offense.

Sports Editor Dan Madigan contributed to the story.

Matt Kren is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering women’s basketball. He can be reached via email at matthew.kren@uconn.edu.