Commuter Corner: No place of my own

Wilbur Cross is the administrative hub of campus and contains many student services including the Offices of the Registrar, Bursar and the office of financial aide office. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

As a commuter, I don’t have a place to call “home” at UConn. Instead of a dorm room I can retreat to during breaks in my schedule, I have little pit-stops to rest at. I set my gigantic bag down, pull out my iPad and read a book. I munch on what’s in my lunchbox that day, and then I leave for my next class. I’ve grown attached to some of these stops, and I wanted to share them with you.

The first one is Floor B in the library. When I can, I sit in the Leisure Reading Room with the comfy blue chairs I can easily slide together. I position myself next to an outlet, with a clear view of all the books I hope to read as soon as I have the time, if that ever happens. I can plug in my phone and check up on my younger siblings while I charge up my iPad in preparation for the next period of note-taking. I lay down across the two chairs and almost make it to a nap before having to leave, or I settle for getting some homework done. When there isn’t space in the Leisure Reading Room, I head to the main area that is sunken in. There are cushioned benches surrounding a strange sculpture and it’s a nice place to relax. I’ve caught people sleeping on those benches, under blankets made of sweatshirts.

Another one of my favorite spots is located in Wilbur Cross: the South Reading Room. I found it by accident early last semester when I was searching for a bathroom. The books lining the walls drew me in, though the signs planted every couple shelves discourage anyone from opening them. The chairs are comfortable, though I can’t really pull them together in this room. It has a more noble, preppy feel than Floor B of HBL. But I was able to comfortably set up all my things on the tables they have in there, and outlets were located in the middle of the floor as well as in the tables so I was always able to charge my phone. I usually ate some form of homemade lunch there as well, though very quietly due to the regal atmosphere. If I chomped on a Cheeto too loud, I got some nasty looks.

One of the other places I like, though in a limited fashion, is the gym. Ever since my near death experience with the bus that I wrote about last semester, I’ve been intermittently visiting UConn’s Recreation Center. The goal would be to run to a waiting bus without huffing and puffing once I’ve made it, but I’ll admit I don’t go often enough for even that to happen. Nonetheless, I like it. it gives me the chance to better myself, even if I don’t take advantage of it. I usually head up to some of the cardio machines and play some music. If I’m feeling up to it, I then move to the other side of the second floor and do some stretching or a couple sit-ups.

I definitely envy residents for having a place to sleep that’s less than a 40-minute drive, but I have found some sites at UConn that make commuting a little easier. I have pit-stops to hit when I have time between classes, even though I don’t have a place of my own at UConn. Oddly enough, I enjoy finding new rooms and buildings to explore and settle into. It gives me something to do when I’m over half an hour away from home.

Hannah Desrosiers is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hannah.desrosiers@uconn.edu.