Men's Basketball: Incoming freshman Ashton-Langford requests release from UConn

UConn head coach Kevin Ollie talks with an official in UConn's 81-71 loss to Cincinnati in the American Athletic Conference semifinals on March 11, 2017. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Point guard Makai Ashton-Langford has requested his release from the letter of intent he signed with the UConn men's basketball program during November's early signing period, sources told ESPN’s Adam Finkelstein Friday.

Ashton-Langford partially attributed his decision to the departure of UConn associate head coach Glenn Miller, who departed less than a week ago and was replaced on head coach Kevin Ollie's staff by Raphael Chillious.

"At first, it was mainly because of [associate head] Coach [Glenn] Miller leaving that made me think about it," Ashton-Langford told ESPN, "but as I started to do that, I realized I kind of made my first decision spontaneously right after my visit."

ESPN also reported that Ashton-Langford, a 6-foot-2, 185-pound guard from Brewster Academy, which UConn's Jalen Adams also attended, will be looking to transfer to a school where he will have the opportunity to have the ball in his hands more frequently, and that Ollie "respected the decision" to request a release.

The roster shake-up comes after Steven Enoch and Vance Jackson asked for a release to transfer within the past week. UConn now has four scholarships open for the 2017-18 season.

Tyler Keating is associate sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering men’s basketball. He can be reached via email at tyler.keating@uconn.edu. He tweets @tylerskeating