Recap: "UConn: The March to Madness" Episode 6

UConn senior guard Saniya Chong drives past Oregon freshman Sabrina Ionescu in the Huskies' 90-52 win in the Elite 8 on March 27, 2017. (Jackson Haigis/The Daily Campus)

This week’s episode of the HBO documentary series “UConn: The March to Madness,” the series’ fifth, detailed the Huskies’ two games in the Bridgeport Region against UCLA and Oregon. The episode balanced more entertaining moments like Geno crafting a sandwich during a meeting with his coaching staff and more serious moments where Auriemma details his methods of dealing with the stress of more high-pressure games.

The episode kicked off by showing Auriemma packing for the regional and explaining that although many of his friends live in Florida and spend their days playing golf, he is happy to be coaching UConn, “We’re still good, we’re still relevant.”

The dynamic between Geno and assistant coach Chris Dailey was shown in more detail, with the two going back and forth on several different points.

Player focuses included a shot of Kia Nurse presenting in class with women’s soccer player Rachel Hill. Confusingly enough, Nurse is pictured walking in and out of the Family Studies Building, but gives her presentation in a Laurel Hall classroom.

Katie Lou Samuelson is shown spending time off watching sister Karlie and the Stanford Cardinal fight their way to the Final Four.

The underlying theme of UConn’s success in recent years is contrasted with this group of Huskies and their excitement at having exceeded expectations and reached the Final Four.

Auriemma, however, remains a realist as ever, “You play shitty, you go home.”

The Huskies were also shown in the film room studying up for last Monday night’s Elite 8 game against Oregon.

This episode also focused more on the team narrative of advancing to the Final Four and less on the results of the individual games, as past episodes have. Additionally, it featured more comedic moments than past weeks. These include Saniya Chong teasing Geno about turning 63, and Auriemma stuffing his face at his birthday dinner with his kids, wife and UConn athletic director David Benedict.

The Huskies face off against Mississippi State on Friday night around 9:30 pm (exact time depends on the length of the first semifinal game). Next week’s episode, the finale, will air on HBO on April 5 at 10 p.m. and will detail UConn’s trip to Dallas for the Final Four.

Jackson Haigis is the photo editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jackson.haigis@uconn.edu.