Softball: UConn splits the weekend at Coastal Carolina Invitational

The Huskies went 2 and 2 at this weekend's Coastal Carolina Invitational. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

UConn softball travelled down to Conway, S.C. this weekend to participate in the Coastal Carolina Invitational. The weekend would feature two doubleheaders: Saturday against Northern Kentucky and Coastal Carolina and Sunday against North Dakota followed by a rematch with Northern Kentucky. The Huskies would finish the weekend with two wins and two losses.

Game one saw the most productive offensive game the Huskies have had so far this season. Their 11-3 victory over Northern Kentucky came in just six innings due to an eight-run mercy rule. Carli Cutler got the start for UConn and would pick up the first win of her collegiate career. After giving up two runs in the first, UConn rebounded with a four-run second inning. RBI from Ally Hernandez and Emma Stanley, in addition to the first of two home runs off the bat of Kiwi McDaniel, would make the score 4-2 UConn. Cutler sacrificed a run in the fifth, but UConn bounced back in the sixth. Chelsea Eckert came in to close the game in scoreless relief. McDaniel and Devon Casazza both hit one out of the park. Singles from Taylor Smith and Hernandez added up to a seven-run inning for UConn, ending the game via the mercy rule.

The Huskies failed to produce any offense in their second game against Coastal Carolina. Jill Stockley got the start and allowed two runs in six innings. Cutler got the start at first for game two and went 2-for-3. McDaniel, Smith and Kelli Bates also had hits for UConn, but failed to get a runner to third base until the seventh inning. In the seventh, with runners on second and third, Hernandez struck out and ended the game. Despite her performance, Stockley would take the loss in this one.

Sunday’s first game would be a 4-0 loss to North Dakota. Katie Koshes got the start and kicked off the game with six strikeouts in just two innings. Despite the strong start, UND would take the lead in the fourth inning, getting three runs off of two homeruns. She would give up one more run before UConn brought in Eckert to close the game out with a scoreless frame.

The final game of the weekend was a rematch against Northern Kentucky. Kayla Doty got the start for the Huskies. The offense came out early as UConn would score four in the first inning. Cutler doubled with Taylor Townsend and Valerie Sadowl on base, bringing home the first two runs of the game. The third inning began with a homerun from Cutler, putting UConn up 5-0. The offense wasn’t done there, putting together another three runs in the inning to take an 8-0 lead. The scoring kept up in the fourth with doubles from Hernandez and Bates to improve the lead to 11-0. Due to the mercy rule, the game would only go four and a half innings as Doty gets the win for UConn.

Spring break will be busy for the Huskies. They’ll see two double-headers next weekend in Palo Alto, Calif., as part of the Stanford Invitational. Then they’re on to Honolulu to participate in the Rainbow Wahine Classic, a four-day, seven-game effort for the Huskies.

Rachel Schaefer is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.