Lil Uzi Vert revealed as spring concert headliner

The Student Union Board of Governors (SUBOG) announced hip-hop recording artist and songwriter Lil Uzi Vert as this year’s spring concert scheduled for Thursday, April 6.

Lil Uzi is best known for his collaboration with Migos on their song “Bad and Boujee.” The song reached the top of the Billboard Hot 100 becoming Lil Uzi’s first number one single as a featured artist.

Last week SUBOG posted clues on all their social media accounts using #whoisnext leading up to today’s announcement. SUBOG Concert Chair Julia D’Alessandro spoke with The Daily Campus to explain what each clue meant.

The first clue was an image of the Eiffel Tower posted on their Twitter page on Feb. 28. That day Lil Uzi Vert opened for The Weeknd in Paris.

Lil Uzi Vert will headline this year's spring concert. Lil Uzi is best known for his collaboration with Migos on their song “Bad and Boujee.” (GlenJamn/Wikimedia Creative Commons)

The second clue was a retweet of 21 Savage because he’s worked with Lil Uzi Vert in the past on songs.

The third clue was a gif of rapper Nicki Minaj winking because there’s a photo of Lil Uzi Vert and Minaj hugging from this past summer.

The fourth clue was a video graphic for Winter Weekend of snowflakes because he has a song called “Froze.”

The fifth clue was an image on their Instagram of Buffalo wings and blue cheese because his line in the song “Bad and Boujee” is “getting that chicken with blue cheese.”

The sixth clue was a regram of the “Fate and the Furious “ album soundtrack because Lil Uzi is featured on the album in the song “Go Off.”

#WhoIsNext

A post shared by SUBOG (@subogatuconn) on

The final clue was an image posted on their Facebook page of Tabasco sauce being poured on Earth because “Lil Uzi vs The World” is the name of his fourth mixtape and he has a song called “Too Much Sauce”

The concert will take place on Thursday, April 6 at Gampel Pavilion. The time will be announced at a later date.

Having the concert on a Thursday night wasn’t ideal, but SUBOG was only given the 6th and 13th for dates, and no artist could do the latter date.

SUBOG opened a lottery today that will be opened until Friday for students to enter to win tickets. Students are eligible for two floor tickets (student or guest), or four tickets for the lower or upper level seating. There are 5,800 tickets available.

Students will be notified on Monday, March 20 via an email if they won the lottery.

For those that do not win the lottery, SUBOG will be doing special giveaways for tickets leading up to the week of the concert.

D’Alessandro said they are still in negotiations with the opening act, which will be announced soon.

She said the decision to book Lil Uzi Vert came from a survey SUBOG did in the fall semester. Also his availability and pricing helped.

“We did a survey two years ago, but last year we didn’t do one and I thought it was really important to bring that back, “D’Alessandro said.

Between the survey and the concert committee of about 30 students, D’Alessandro said they selected Uzi.

She said the concert committee wants to make events that students are interested in. They considered a lot of different artists including those on the Coachella Music Festival lineup, Mac Miller and Travis Scott, but it all came down to budget and time conflicts as to why they could not book them.

“We did consider Migos, but they got crossed off the list because they have a tendency to bring fire arms to every show they do,” D’Alessandro said.

Many students question why top acts are not able to perform for the spring concert. D’Alessandro said the budget this year was $100,000.

“It’s not like I can just go to Susan (Herbst) and be like, can you give me a million so I get Drake?” she said.

Past spring concert performers included Wiz Khalifa in 2012, Kendrick Lamar and Steve Aoki in 2013, J Cole in 2014, ASAP Ferg and Schoolboy Q in 2015 and Fetty Wap in 2016.

D’Alessandro said artist inflation is to blame for not being able to continue booking top acts.

“If you have one hit single you used to be $10,000, but now you are $40,000,” she said.

D’Alessandro and the rest of the committee hope for a positive turnout to this year’s concert.

“It’s always the goal to sell out, the more tickets we sell the better the working budget for next year is.”

Angie DeRosa is the life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at angelina.derosa@uconn.edu.  She tweets @theangiederosa.