More vehicles vandalized at Hilltop Apartments

The tires and rims from five other cars parked at Hilltop and Celeron Apartments were stolen Thursday night. (Elizabeth Charash/The Daily Campus)

Five cars parked at Hilltop Apartments were vandalized early Monday morning.  

Rhea Sindvani, a sixth-semester physiology and neurobiology major, received a call at around 9 a.m. from UCPD telling her that her car had been broken into.

“The window completely shattered,” Sindvani said “The tiny little pieces (of glass) fell all over the passenger seat, they completely destroyed it.”

University of Connecticut Spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz said that five cars were vandalized.

“We have reports of five vehicles that were vandalized in the Hilltop area sometime overnight or early this morning, each of which had their wheels and tires stolen,” Reitz said.

UCPD Deputy Chief Lieutenant Andrew Fournier said that the UConn Police Department received reports of the vandalized vehicles between midnight and 5 a.m. on Monday.

The tires and rims from five other cars parked at Hilltop and Celeron Apartments were stolen Thursday night.

Fournier said that of the ten reports of vandalism over the past few days, all except Sindvani’s had their rims and tires stolen.

Police told Sindvani to contact her insurance provider about repairs.

“I saw UCPD there and they told me to call your insurance and get a repair and that there’s not much else that can be done,” Sindvani said.  

Five cars parked at Hilltop Apartments were vandalized early Monday morning. (Elizabeth Charash/The Daily Campus)

Sindvani said that, even though nothing was stolen from her vehicle, she is upset by this event.

“I’m really upset because I practically park my car right outside my apartment where, I assumed, it’d be safe,” Sindvani said.

Sindvani said that she wants to be able to feel that her vehicle will be safe while it is parked at Hilltop.

“We pay $300 a month to be able to park here and they can’t even protect our cars when they know this is happening,” Sindvani said.

Sindvani said that she hoped UCPD will be able to find the perpetrators.

“Hopefully they find who did this so I don’t feel concerned about my car and I know it’s okay,” Sindvani said.

Reitz said that UCPD is increasing patrols in the area as a result of these incidents.

“UCPD has increased uniformed and plainclothes patrols in these areas and officers are currently reviewing security camera footage,” Reitz said.

Fournier said that these increased patrols will hopefully prevent further acts of vandalism.

“On the side of prevention, we’re increasing patrols so we have better visibility around campus, especially during those overnight hours,” Fournier said.

Fournier said that the investigation is ongoing and that the Police Department is following several leads they have received.

While the specific motivation of the culprit or culprits cannot be determined until they are brought into custody, Fournier said that it is likely financial.

“In general, it’s typically for financial gain,” Fournier said.

Anyone with information is asked to call UConn Police at 860-486-4800.

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.