Swimming and Diving: UConn competes in Zone A meet

UConn's Daniel Kinney finished third overall in the 3-meter at the American Championship. He is pictured here in a meet last year. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The Zone A diving championship kicked off on Monday in Blacksburg, VA. A qualifier for the NCAA championships, UConn has six divers qualified to participate. For the women, Alli Butera, Monica Marcello, Michelle Kalupski and Amanda Craig will compete. For the men, Dan Kinney and Spencer Beaulieu have qualified.

Butera had an impressive showing at the American championship. She finished atop the podium in the 1-meter dive and she finished fourth in the 3-meter. Marcello was close behind, finishing second in the 1-meter. She also got on the podium for her third place finish in the 3-meter dive. Kalupski nailed third in the 1-meter dive at the Americans and scored a fifth place finish in the 1-meter. Together, with Craig’s top-eight finish, they earned first place for their team in the 1-meter.

Butera, Kalupski and Marcello also earned all-conference selections in the 1-meter dive, with Marcello earning an additional selection for the 3-meter.

Kinney finished third overall in the 3-meter at the American Championship. Beaulieu took sixth in the same competition and, along with their teammates, earned a first place finish for UConn. Kinney also took home a third-place finish for the 1-meter while Beaulieu finished eighth.

Beaulieu was the only Husky to earn an American all-conference selection in platform diving, while Kinney earned a selection in both the 1-meter and 3-meter dives.

The tournament will last through Wednesday. The top six finishers in the 3-meter, along with the top five finishers in the 1-meter will go on to compete in the NCAA Championships. These will bring the divers back together with the swimmers to compete in Indianapolis beginning on March 23.

Rachel Schaefer is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.