Adams, Jackson earn All-Conference honors

Sophomore Jalen Adams was named to the All-Conference First Team for the first time in his career after being projected to finish on the All-Conference Second Team in the preseason. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

After a disappointing season that saw the UConn men’s basketball team is first losing regular season since Jim Calhoun’s first year at the helm, two Huskies were honored by the American Athletic Conference for their performances this season.

Freshman Vance Jackson was named to the All-Rookie team finishing the regular season with a 46.6 field goal percentage and a 48.4 3-point percentage, which ranks him first in conference play. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

Sophomore Jalen Adams was named to the All-Conference First Team for the first time in his career after being projected to finish on the All-Conference Second Team in the preseason. Adams, despite battling his own injuries and trying to carry a burdened team, leads The American in assists with 6.3 per game and 183 overall, while also averaging 14.1 points per game. Adams is joined by two Houston standouts, Rob Gray and Damyean Dotson, as well as SMU’s Semi Ojeleye and Memphis’ Dedric Lawson.

Freshman Vance Jackson was named to the All-Rookie team. Facing a slow start amidst elevated playing time, he exploded in conference play, finishing the regular season with a 46.6 field goal percentage and a 48.4 3-point percentage, which ranks him first in conference play by a decent margin. Jackson is accompanied by Cincinnati’s Jarrod Cumberland, Memphis’ K.J. Lawson, Temple’s Quinton Rose and East Carolina’s Jeremy Sheppard.

The Huskies maybe in line for more awards as the Defensive Player of the Year, Most Improved Player, Sixth Man Award and Sportsmanship awards will be announced today. The American Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year, Coach of the Year and Scholar-Athlete of the Year will be announced on Thursday at 12:30 p.m., eight hours before UConn is slated to take on USF in the first round.

Stephanie Sheehan is the associate managing editor for The Daily Campus, covering men’s basketball. She can be reached via email at stephanie.sheehan@uconn.edu. She tweets @steph_sheehan.