Brian Miller's interactive magic show mesmerizes students

Brain Miller performs a magic show at the UConn student union on Tuesday, March 7th. Brian Miller is a private event entertainer and keynote speaker. For over 10 years he has performed for thousands of audiences in 30 states and on 4 continents. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

Students were amazed by an interactive magic show at the Student Union Theatre on Tuesday night.

Brian Miller kept the audience on their toes with his mind-boggling magic tricks, stunts and his witty sense of humor. He was comfortable making fun of himself and his show, which made it all the more interesting and lively.

Despite his humor, Miller managed to give the audience a broader perspective on magic and how it can teach everybody a lesson or two. One trick required a volunteer from the audience to imagine a deck of playing cards in front of her on a stage. She then had to pick one from the imaginary deck, which Miller later correctly guessed.

“I love social media, but I think it’s hindering our ability to imagine things,” Miller said. “If you have hopes, dreams, goals, or ambitions, write them down.”

One of Miller’s most captivating stunts involved only a circular metal chain and electrical tape. A volunteer confirmed that the chain could not be broken before Miller began. He tightly wrapped tape around his index finger and thumb so that they were stuck together. Magically, Miller got the supposedly unbreakable circular chain in between both of his taped fingers and then out again without removing any tape.

Miller is nationally touring but is a lifelong Huskies fan. His Ted Talk has now reached over 2 million views, however, magic is not his only talent. Miller is a musician on top of being a magician and took time out of his show on Tuesday to show the audience how looping works.

He hooked his guitar up to a loop pedal which allowed him to record his playing. When he pressed the loop pedal, whatever he played continued to play back to him so that he could build off of it with other sounds and be a one-man band. Miller used his recording as a background for one of his magic tricks, which made it all the more intriguing.

The most stunning magic trick was of course saved for the final act. Miller had a volunteer choose a playing card in several different rounds of the magic trick. He then asked her a series of questions related to the chosen card, which she was allowed to answer honestly or dishonestly. Miller checked her pulse to determine whether or not the volunteer was lying after each question. In one round, he even had her answer his questions silently in her head. Miller astoundingly was able to guess the correct playing card every time.

Sarah Maddox is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at sarah.maddox@uconn.edu.