Bursar’s Office changes late fee policy

The University of Connecticut Bursar’s Office recently updated its policy for tuition late fees, increasing the amount of money charged for late tuition payments from $50 to $150. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut Bursar’s Office recently updated its policy for tuition late fees, increasing the amount of money charged for late tuition payments from $50 to $150.

“Beginning Fall 2017, if your bill is not paid by the designated due date you will be assessed a $150 late fee. If after Day 10 of the semester your bill remains unpaid, you will be assessed a second $150 late fee,” an email send out by the Bursar’s Office said.

The email urges students to pay bills on time to avoid late fees. If students are paying their bills by a 529 plan or college savings account, they should request the check with enough time for it to be delivered and received by the due date. If they are paying their bill with financial aid, they should ensure they have completed all necessary documents and confirmed their aid is listed as an anticipated deferral on their bill prior to the due date.

Peggy Selleck, UConn’s bursar explained the policy change in more detail.

“The change in the fee will standardize the late fee to $150 per student (undergrads, grads, law, social work and non-degree) which will be assessed after the due date, with an additional assessment of $150 if payment is not received after the add/drop date. The maximum late fee per semester would be $300.”

Selleck explained that the Bursar’s Office sent the email this week because they wanted for students to be aware of the fee changes before they are implemented.

“We sent the email to let students know that this increase is taking place at the beginning of the 2017 school year, so it doesn’t come as a surprise if it shows up on their fee bill in the fall,” Selleck said.

Selleck went on to explain that the late fee increase was approved by the board of trustees last fall. Prior to that, the current rate hadn’t been increased since 1988.

“It’s something that’s been a long time coming, especially because the current $50 late fee hadn’t been updated in over 20 years. It doesn’t affect students who pay their tuition on time,” Selleck said.

Selleck also noted the fact that UConn’s late fees are lower than those of other schools as a reason for deciding to approve the increase.

“We looked at other public universities throughout Connecticut and New England, and UConn’s current rate was well below many of them,” Selleck said. “We wanted to make sure that what UConn is doing aligned with that of other schools.”

Selleck said that this came as part of a continuing effort to reevaluate the fees that UConn is charging its students.

Gabriella Debenedictis is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.