Former UConn coach Moore ousted at Quinnipiac

Tom Moore, pictured to the right of Jim Calhoun, has been fired as the coach of the Quinnipiac Bobcats as of Tuesday. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

After 10 years as the head coach of the Quinnipiac Bobcats, the school announced that head coach Tom Moore had been fired as of Tuesday.

Moore spent 13 season as an assistant coach at UConn under Jim Calhoun before joining the Bobcats in 2007. The now 51-year-old Moore was once viewed as the most logical replacement for Calhoun after initially leaving for the Bobcats, but Moore’s involvement in NCAA violations relating to the recruitment of Nate Miles while at UConn put an end to that.

In Moore’s 10 seasons as the Bobcats’ head coach, Quinnipiac posted a 162-146 overall record with three seasons of 20 or more wins. Moore led the Bobcats to a Northeast Conference regular season title in 2009-10 but never secured the program’s first-ever NCAA tournament appearance. However, the Bobcats played in four postseason tournaments in Moore’s ten years, playing in the NIT and CBI once and the CIT twice.

Moore boasted an 106-79 record in conference play during his time as coach as well. The Bobcats won 35 games in their first two seasons in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference in 2013 but faltered after that, winning just 19 games in the last two seasons.

This season, Quinnipiac went 10-21 and lost to Niagara 88-69 in the opening round of the MAAC conference tournament.

With Moore out as head coach, another former Husky has emerged as a leading candidate to take over.

Scott Burrell played four seasons at UConn under Calhoun from 1989-93, becoming the first player in UConn history with more than 1,500 points, 750 rebounds, 300 steals and 275 assists. After being drafted with No. 20 pick in the 1993 NBA draft by the Charlotte Hornets, Burrell played nine seasons in the NBA, winning the 1998 NBA championship with the Chicago Bulls.

Following his retirement, Burrell returned to his hometown of Hamden, Connecticut to serve as an assistant coach for Quinnipiac from 2007-15. Burrell has currently spent the last two seasons as head coach at Division II Southern Connecticut State University, leading the Owls to a 24-8 record last season and winning the 2016 ECAC Coach of the Year award. This season, SCSU is 17-12 heading into the start of the Division II NCAA tournament.

Dan Madigan is the sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering women's basketball. He can be reached via email at daniel.madigan@uconn.edu. He tweets @dmad1433.