UConn Men's Hockey: Thompson heading to the pros

Tage Thompson fights off a Providence forward during the Huskies 4-1 loss to the Friars on Feb. 8, 2017 at the XL Center in Hartford. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

Sophomore Tage Thompson played his last game for the UConn men’s hockey team this weekend, announcing Tuesday he will forego his last two years of college hockey to sign with the St. Louis Blues.

Thompson was selected with the No. 26 overall pick in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft by the Blues and has signed a three-year entry-level deal beginning in the 2017-18 season. The Orange native will first report to the Blues' American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Chicago Wolves.

Despite only playing two seasons for the Huskies, Thompson made a significant impact on the program, helping guide them through their transition into Hockey East. Thompson was the first UConn hockey player ever selected in the first round of the NHL Draft.

The forward had 32 overall points this past season, including 19 goals, leading the team in both categories. During his freshman year, Thompson also had 32 points, but on 14 goals and 18 assists, while leading the nation in power play goals with 13.

Thompson also has had success internationally. This past January, Thompson tallied a goal and four assists for the gold medal-winning U.S. World Junior team.

Thompson has been around professional hockey his whole life as his father, Brent, was a second-round pick of the Los Angeles Kings in 1989 and played 121 NHL games in his career.

Former Husky Cole Schneider has been in and out of the pros since leaving UConn in 2012, most recently with the Buffalo Sabres.

Current UConn players Max Letunov, Miles Gendron, David Drake, Philip Nyberg, Joseph Masonus and Adam Huska could all be joining Thompson in the NHL in the near future, as all have NHL affiliations.

Antonio Salazar is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazar@uconn.edu.