Upcoming events benefit students, veterans, families

VAWPP will host a forum on March 27 at 1 p.m. to discuss male sexual assault in the military in the Student Union room 304. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut Veterans Affairs and Military Programs is holding a number of events in the upcoming weeks through partnerships with the Violence Against Women Prevention Program, SUBOG Student Activities and the UConn Police Department

Male Survivors of Sexual Assault Forum

VAWPP, Veterans Affairs and the Veteran Student Organization will be hosting MAVEN to discuss male sexual assault in the military.

Two survivors will share their experiences regarding sexual assault in the armed forces. About one in 16 men are sexually assaulted during their time in college, according to the National Sexual Violence Resource Center. According to the Pentagon, 38 military men are sexually assaulted every day.

The event will take place on March 27 at 1 p.m. in the Student Union Room 304.

Late Night Social Awareness Event

The “Major Late Night Alert: Social Awareness Event” is a joint effort by the Veterans Affairs and Military Programs and SUBOG Student Activities. All students are invited to attend the Late Night event. Other programs will be featured at the event as well, including the Brazilian Student Association.

Veterans Affairs will be exhibiting equipment and other military-related items like food rations.

Two other events on the same night are being offered to veterans and their families. The Doug Bernstein Game Room will be free for all veterans and their families from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. A free taco bar will also be available to veterans and family members starting at 6:30 p.m. in the Veterans Oasis, which is in Student Union Room 224.

Men’s Self-Defense Courses

This series of four free self-defense courses is being offered by the UConn Police Department in conjunction with UConn. While the event is not being sponsored by the Veterans Affairs and Military Programs directly, the program is still promoting the courses.

Students and staff at all levels of ability, age, experience and strength will be provided with realistic techniques and information.

The course will be held Tuesday nights from March 21 through Apr. 11. Each course runs from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in the Pequot Room in Shippee Hall. Participants must attend all four courses. Sign-up is first come, first serve. Registration available at publicsafety.uconn.edu.

Claire Galvin  is a senior staff writer for The Daily Campus.   She can be reached via email at claire.galvin@uconn.edu.