Five quick reads for your Spring Break

Spring Break is just around the corner, and with it comes free time to kill. This Life author came up with a list of books to read over break, including "Catcher in the Rye." (Free For Commercial Use/Creative Commons)

Need something to keep you busy during Spring Break? For any of you book lovers, look no further: here is a list of five books that you will definitely be able to finish next week.

“Looking For Alaska” by John Green

Miles Halter, known as “Pudge,” is looking for the “Great Perhaps,” from the famous last words of François Rabelais. After attending Culver Creek Preparatory High School, he gets involved with a group of misfits, led by Chip Martin, better known as “The Colonel.” This is where Pudge meets Alaska, a beautifully unstable girl who Pudge eventually falls for. Then, in an explosive turn of events, Pudge’s life gets turned on its head. This edgy young adult novel from the author of “The Fault In Our Stars” and “Paper Towns” is equally as gripping and will be finished by the end of the week for sure.

“And Then There Were None” by Agatha Christie

If you’re into murder mysteries, you won’t want to miss this gripping 1939 publication from Agatha Christie. Eight people—who all have escaped justice in some way—have been lured to a secluded island for different reasons. But it becomes clear that the reason they’ve been gathered is to pay for their crimes. One by one, the guests are killed off, and the murderer is hiding among them. Only one person will be left alive, but who? Christie is regarded as the best-selling author of all time, her books selling two billion copies worldwide, and “And Then There Were None” sold 100 million copies by itself.

“Every Day” by David Levithan

Meet A, a genderless being who wakes up every day, but in a different body. A is used to this process, but when A meets Rhiannon, everything changes. A tries to connect with Rhiannon, even after the day is over. This book will get you thinking if you can really judge a book by its cover. Levithan does an amazing job at including a variety of different characters. This book will fly by quicker than you expect, but you will be nothing but entertained.

“The Stranger” by Albert Camus

If you’re more into literary canon, pick up “The Stranger.” Originally written in French, this book deals with existentialism through the eyes of Meursault. Meursault has always been a go-with-the-flow type of person and doesn’t see the need to put effort into things. He lets people push him around because he is indifferent to what happens to him and others. So, when he gets wrapped up in a murder, the justice system turns on him—but who is in the wrong? Get ready to judge your own morals with this novel; in just 160 pages, it will surely leave you thinking.

“The Catcher in the Rye” by J.D. Salinger

Holden Caulfield probably has one of the most apparent voices in literature. Holden gets kicked out of his wealthy boarding school and goes out for a night on the town. He boards a train to New York City to waste some time before his parents find out about his expulsion. The original “edgy teen,” Holden gets himself into a variety of situations that will keep you interested from cover to cover. Just sit back and enjoy the various escapades of a 1949 adolescent cynic.

Ryan Amato is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at ryan.amato@uconn.edu.