Lazy Boy on Campus: Surviving Spring Break

"Lazy Boy On Campus" is a weekly column on how to embrace laziness while maintaining a jam packed schedule. Easy, right?

Spring Break is a few days away for UConn students, which means many will be making their way home for the week. The Lazy Boy author gives a few suggestions of what to do with a week in your hometown. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

We’ve done it. We have somehow made it to Spring Break 2017. For a lazy person like myself, and hopefully all of you at this point, Spring Break is the greatest time to kick back and relax. Before Thanksgiving break in the fall, I wrote a similar column about relaxing over break, but it was more focused on avoiding making any major lifestyle changes. At that point in time I didn’t want you guys doing anything that would end up have a negative effect on your final exams. Luckily that isn’t really an issue with Spring Break. Instead, I want to focus on a few of the things that you can do while you’re home for break.

Whenever I go home for break, the first thing I want to do is sleep. Nothing beats it. I’ll try and sleep for as much as I can on the first night. That extra sleep helps me compensate for all of the time that I couldn’t sleep during the semester. After that, though, I get a little bored. I have a week off and I certainly don’t want to spend that time sleeping, sitting around my house, eating junk food and watching Netflix.

So once I’ve caught up on sleep, next I normally go explore my town. There are always new things coming in and out. For instance, last time I went home, there was a new liquor store that had just opened a few weeks before. There were also tons of new restaurants and a few new artistic statues. You don’t have to do anything with those shops right now, but they are worth keeping in mind if you want to do something fun with friends from home and want to go somewhere a little different from where you normally would.

I don’t know about the rest of you guys, but I really don’t enjoy randomly running into people from high school over break. I’m never prepared to talk about what is going on in my life or how much in shambles my life is. That’s why I try to avoid the crazy hectic bars at home where people will put on masks and make it seem like everything in life is great. I’m way too lazy to deal with any of that. Instead, I like to check out the secluded places in my town like the little coffee shops, the bookstores or the small cafes that nobody will frequently go into. Grab a book and chill out for a few hours.

Not all of your exploring has to be spent inside. With the weather getting warmer there are a lot of places that you can go explore. A lot of us live near forests with trails and open spaces to wander around. These kind of places are perfect to go to with a few friends, family members or just yourself. Bring along a bagged lunch and make a day of it.

If you really want to go out to a restaurant with friends but you are like me and hate running into people, there is an easy solution: avoid the places everyone normally goes to. If you go to the most popular places in town, you are bound to run into someone you know. Instead, avoid those places and go somewhere where you and your friends can have a nice relaxed evening. Or avoid the outside scene entirely and just hit up some takeout place and then chill at someone’s house with Netflix.

Clearly, I don’t like traveling a lot on my vacations. If you’re like me, then hopefully these plans come in handy over Spring Break.

Amar Batra is a senior staff photographer and opinion’s staff columnist for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email amar.batra@uconn.edu. He tweets at @amar_batra19.