Women's Basketball: Collier, Samuelson and Williams named WBCA All-Americans

UConn's Katie Lou Samuelson, Napheesa Collier, and Gabby Williams celebrate on the bench during UConn's 90-52 win over Oregon in the Elite 8 on March 24, 2017 at Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport, Connecticut. (Jackson Haigis/The Daily Campus)

DALLAS— The awards keep on coming for the UConn Huskies.

Shortly after head coach Geno Auriemma won his third different Coach of the Year award this season, Napheesa Collier, Katie Lou Samuelson and Gabby Williams were named first-team All-Americans once again, this time by the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association.

Recognition as a WBCA All-American is especially important for UConn players, as recognition as a WBCA All-American is the only requirement to be considered for the Huskies of Honor. Now, Samuelson, Collier and Williams are eligible to have a shot at having their name alongside other UConn greats. 

Aside from being recognized as an All-American, Williams was also named the WBCA's Defensive Player of the Year.

Collier, Samuelson and Williams were all named USBWA All-Americans earlier this week, and Collier and Samuelson were also named AP All-Americans. The Huskies led the country with three WBCA All-Americans, and only Washington, which saw Chantel Osahor and Kelsey Plum receive the honor had more than one WBCA All-American. Plum was also named Wade Trophy winner as the top women’s player in the country following her historic senior season.

Plum, who was also named the AP Player of the Year, scored 1,109 points in her final season with Washington and also broke a 33-year-old record for career free throws with 912.

“On behalf of the WBCA, I am honored to present women’s basketball’s highest honor, the Wade Trophy, to Kelsey Plum," WBCA Executive Director Danielle Donehew said. "Kelsey had a historic season and elevated the game to an exciting new level.”

Ohio State’s Kelsey Mitchell and Syracuse’s Alexis Peterson rounded out the guards on the WBCA team. Baylor’s Kalani Brown, Notre Dame’s Brianna Turner and South Carolina’s A’ja Wilson were the other front court players selected for the honor.

Forty-two student athletes were named WBCA honorable mention All-Americans. Notable names include Victoria Vivians of Mississippi State, Jordin Canada of UCLA and South Carolina’s Alaina Coates. 

Dan Madigan is the sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering women's basketball. He can be reached via email at daniel.madigan@uconn.edu. He tweets @dmad1433.