Women's Basketball: Lobo named Hall of Fame inductee, Auriemma wins Naismith Coach of the Year Award

UConn head coach Geno Auriemma looks on during his team's 66-64 overtime loss to Mississippi State on Friday night at the American Airlines Center in Dallas. (Jackson Haigis/The Daily Campus)

The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced Saturday that former UConn women’s basketball forward Rebecca Lobo will be inducted as part of its 2017 class. Lobo, who played for the Huskies from 1991-95, averaged 16.9 points and 10.1 rebounds per game in her four years at Storrs. She was also a member of the historic 1994-95 UConn team that went undefeated and won the school’s first national championship, winning NCAA Player of the Year honors.

Lobo followed up her career at UConn with a gold medal with USA Basketball in the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta. She also played six seasons for three different teams in the WNBA, earning All-WNBA second team honors in her rookie season. After her retirement from the league in 2003, she joined ESPN as a women’s basketball reporter and analyst.

Lobo’s induction, which will take place this September at the Hall of Fame in Springfield, marks the first time a UConn player has entered the Hall of Fame. Former men’s basketball coach Jim Calhoun and women’s basketball head coach Geno Auriemma were inducted in 2005 and 2006 respectively.

The Atlanta Tipoff Club also announced that Auriemma has been awarded the Naismith Coach of the Year award for the second consecutive season and eighth time in his career. Over the course of his career, Geno has posted a 991-135 record over 32 seasons at UConn and has a record 11 national championships. Auriemma led the Huskies to their 10th straight Final Four in 2017, and broke former Tennessee head coach Pat Summitt’s record for NCAA Tournament wins with the Huskies’ win over Oregon in the Elite 8.

Jackson Haigis is the photo editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jackson.haigis@uconn.edu.