Quick Hits: Feole dazzles in Sunday showdown with Memphis, potential men’s basketball recruit commits elsewhere

UConn started off their conference schedule in style with a huge road sweep of the formerly ranked East Carolina Pirates and they kept it rolling with a sweep of the Memphis Tigers this weekend. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Now that basketball season is officially over, there’s a bit less to talk about in UConn Huskies sports on a weekly basis. Nevertheless, there were still some shining moments on the baseball diamond as the Huskies pulled off another conference series sweep. The men’s basketball team also heard some more bad news on the recruiting front, when a potential recruit picked another school. That and more on this week’s edition of Quick Hits.

Baseball team pulls off second consecutive sweep, Feole shines on Sunday

The UConn baseball team has been rolling as of late, winning eight of their last nine games. The Huskies started off their conference schedule in style with a huge road sweep of the formerly ranked East Carolina Pirates and they kept it rolling with a sweep of the Memphis Tigers this weekend.

Great pitching from ace Tim Cate along with yet another multi-RBI game from catcher Zac Susi got UConn off to a fantastic start on Friday with a 6-2 win. Cate earned his third win of the year by going seven innings and striking out 10 batters in a typically good performance. His batterymate Susi continued his outstanding play from the early stages of the season, going 3-4 with three RBIs.

Saturday was a bit of a wild game with plenty of runs scored in the first inning and early struggles from the usually dependable pitcher Wills Montgomerie. Despite allowing four runs in the top of the first, the Huskies’ offense gave Montgomerie some run support by scoring five in the bottom frame. Later, the offense managed to earn a few more and squeak out a 10-7 win to clinch the series.

Although the series win was already in-hand, the real star performance of the series came on Sunday afternoon. Freshman southpaw Mason Feole put on a show for the fans at J.O. Christian Field, allowing just four hits in an eight inning shutout. The rookie advanced to 5-0 on the year with the win and has thrown 20 consecutive scoreless innings. He may be young, but he very well could be one of the better pitchers to come through Storrs in quite some time and that says a lot.

Top 100 point guard recruit Harris picks Missouri

After all the bad news that’s hit the men’s basketball team the last few weeks, one would hope or even assume that something good is going to come. That something good didn’t come this past weekend when point guard Blake Harris, who previously de-committed from the Washington Huskies, chose the Missouri Tigers over UConn and several other schools.

When Makai Ashton-Langford de-committed from UConn, many looked at Harris as his potential replacement. Head coach Kevin Ollie would’ve loved to have him join the fold considering everything that had gone wrong in the past few weeks. Regardless, Harris followed fellow Washington de-commit and No. 1 overall recruit Michael Porter Jr. to the Tigers in what is a huge get for Missouri.

Ollie and the Huskies still have time to get the few undecided recruits that they’re going after, but they are running out of time fast. The next week or so will be a big indicator of what the 2017-18 men’s basketball team will look like, and right now it doesn’t look pretty.

Chris Hanna is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.hanna@uconn.edu. He tweets @realchrishanna.