Through the Daily Campus Lens: Spring Break in Iceland

Two Daily Campus photographers took advantage of cheap tickets to Iceland over spring break. Get a closer look at the country through the Daily Campus lens.

Iceland has always been one of those countries that I just had to visit, purely to witness what it was actually like. I have heard stories and seen pictures of just how vastly different Iceland’s wilderness was, and this has always intrigued the photographic side of me. For my final Spring Break here at UConn, I decided to follow what everyone else was doing and leave the country, except I went somewhere cold, miserably windy, and barely saw the sun.

I started planning my trip to Iceland very late in the game, only a couple weeks before Spring Break was set to begin. I knew most of the places I wanted to go were off the Ring Road, the main route that circles the country, so I wasn’t too concerned with locations.  When I arrived in Iceland it was exactly how I pictured it from the stories I’d heard; cold, dark, and other worldly. The landscapes were so raw and mesmerizing, as if the land had been untouched since the beginning of time.

As I made my way around the country, I never got used to the sights. Every bit of wilderness amazed me, frightened me, and put me in such awe; I felt honored just being allowed to witness everything in its purity.  If you’ve ever thought about visiting Iceland, in the words of Shia LaBeouf, “just do it”. You will not regret it one bit.

-Tyler Benton, senior staff photographer for The Daily Campus

Tyler Benton is a senior staff photographer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at tyler.benton@uconn.edu.

Zhelun Lang is a senior staff photographer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at zhelun.lang@uconn.edu.