Adventure Park at Storrs to provide complimentary shuttle for students

The Adventure Park at Storrs is offering free shuttles from the University on Friday evenings. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

Following its debut last spring the Adventure Park at Storrs will once again offer a free shuttle service to and from the University of Connecticut Storrs campus for all students interested in climbing the treetops, according to the park’s director of client relations Doug Southworth.

The free shuttle service will be available on the following Fridays beginning this week: April 14, 21 and 28, as well as May 5, according to the park’s flyer.

The shuttle will depart from Fairfield Way at 4:00 p.m., 4:30 p.m. and 5:00 p.m., and will return at 7:00 p.m., 7:30 p.m. and 8:00 p.m., according to the flyer.

The service was received well last year, with about 150 students taking advantage of the shuttle, including Greek life groups and student clubs, Southworth said.

“We did find that Friday night became ‘College Night’ at the park and was great to see so many students getting out enjoying some fun in the trees, under the lights,” Southworth. “This year we expect it to be more popular than ever.”

First Student transportation company out of Vernon will once again provide the shuttle and the Adventure Park is paying for the service, which will be open only to UConn students.

“Because we understand students have difficulty getting to the park, we decided to foot the bill to provide this amenity to students,” Southworth said.

Second-semester Spanish major Kafré O’Connell said she and a group of friends used the shuttle service last spring.

“It was great. Our bus driver was super nice and we happened to be the only people on the bus,” O’Connell said. “As for the park, it was even better as we went during the night time and there were lights up everywhere. It was an awesome experience I wouldn't have been able to do it without the shuttles.”

The idea for the shuttle originated in a study conducted by UConn students which found that students were not frequenting the park because of a lack of transportation and high admission prices. In addition to starting the shuttle service, the park lowered student prices to $23 plus tax per student whether they came individually or as part of a group, Southworth said.

“This same study seemed to indicate that most students’ schedules wouldn’t allow them to go to the park on other days,” Southworth said. “Fridays seemed to make the most sense.”

The Adventure Park at Storrs is home to seven different ropes courses that are built high in the trees, with varying levels of difficulty to accommodate everyone age seven and up, with no prior experience required, according to the park’s Facebook page.

“It is a low cost, fun way to get outdoors, get some exercise and reduce stress after a long week.  The new shuttle schedule will also allow for students to get back to campus for the late-night festivities,” Southworth said.

Molly Stadnicki is the associate news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at molly.stadnicki@uconn.edu.