Decisions made for ex-huskies

The Huskies fall 81-71 to the Cincinnati Bearcats in the semifinals of the American Athletic Conference championship on Saturday, March 11, 2017. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

A couple of former guards on the UConn men’s basketball program announced their new homes last night.

Terrence Samuel, a familiar name to UConn fans, committed to University of South Florida and their new head coach Brain Gregory last night.

Samuel, who came to UConn as a freshman from the Bronx, New York, averaged 2.4 points per game for the Huskies in their 2014 national championship season, but played an important contributor role off the bench at the end of the season. After a sophomore season with more minutes but a minimal production increase, Samuel left the program and transferred to Penn State, where he sat out the 2015-2016 season.

This past season Samuel averaged 3.9 points per game for the Nittany Lions (15-18) and announced his intentions to become a graduate transfer after the season.

The immediately eligible Samuel will be part of a large scale turnover at USF, as the school decided not to renew interim coach Murry Bartow’s contract after the Bulls finished in last place in the American conference this season. His choice of USF will give him at least one, with the potential for several, games against the Huskies next year in conference play.

Also on the recruiting front, Makai Ashton-Langford chose Providence College as his new home. Ashton-Langford is the No. 36 overall player in the class of 2017 according to ESPN and a one-time UConn commit. The 6-foot-2 point guard from Worcester, Massachusetts comes from the same Brewster Academy Prep and Mass Rivals AAU programs that produced current UConn standout Jalen Adams.

Ashton-Langford chose the Huskies back in September 2016 over Providence and Louisville, but elected to re-open his commitment on Mar. 31 shortly after it was announced Associate Head Coach Glen Miller would no longer be with the program.

At the time, Ashton-Langford cited the “recent turn of events” as the main reason for de-committing.

The Providence Friars exceeded expectations last season, going 20-13 and reaching the NCAA tournament where they fell to USC in an opening round play-in game. They return with rising senior Kyron Cartwright, who was Second Team All-Big East and fourth nationally in assists per game, at the point guard position next season.

Matt Barresi is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.barresi@uconn.edu.