UConn eager to bounce back against Boston College after a tough weekend in Houston

Senior Kayla Doty pitching in UConn's game against Bryant University on March 29.  (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

The UConn softball team (13-19) has lost their last four games with the last three coming from Houston. UConn will play Boston College in their first home game at Burrill Family Field Tuesday at 4 p.m.

Freshman Katie Koshes had an uncharacteristically difficult couple of starts against Houston. She pitched the series opener and allowed four runs while striking out seven over five innings pitched. Koshes also started the rubber game and it unraveled for her and the team quickly. She was chased out of the game after she surrendered six runs over 1.1 innings.

The relief pitching did not provide too much relief. The rest of the pitching staff combined for another 16 runs as the Huskies fell 22-0.

The Huskies offense combined to score four runs during the series, with all of those runs coming from the second game when they lost 6-4.

UConn head coach Jen McIntyre said there are ways to improve.

“We can throw a lot better, pitch a lot better, play better defense and put runs on the board,” McIntyre said. “So we will be looking to make some changes this week.”

Sophomore Ally Hernandez batting in UConn's game against Bryant University on March 29.  (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

Freshman Carli Cutler jumped ahead of Valerie Sadowl for the team-lead in batting average, now batting .323. Cutler also blasted a solo-homer in the seventh inning of game two against Houston.

Coming off a difficult weekend, McIntyre said team leadership is “essential.”

Boston College (23-13) fields a solid team this year led by stifling pitching and a consistent hitting attack. They played against Houston twice to open the season and split.

Their pitching staff is led by Jessica Dreswick, who owns a 1.85 ERA and has a record of 16-6 along with 13 complete games. Their team ERA is a miniscule 2.05.

The Boston College offense has five hitters batting over .300, led by Taylor Coroneos, who is batting .347. Tatiana Cortez carries the big bat and has clubbed eight homers and knocked in 29 runs.

The Huskies pitching staff, which has been successful all season long before the Houston series, will have to pitch better against Boston College and McIntyre said she is sure they will.

“I am confident that they are going to bounce back,” McIntyre said. “It was obviously very uncharacteristic from what we’ve seen all year.”

Michael Logan is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.