Men’s Basketball: UConn hires new director of strength and conditioning

Carlos Daniel was a star of Washington State University prior to becoming UConn's new director of strength and conditioning. (Photo courtesy of UConn Huskies)

The UConn men’s basketball program has hired Carlos Daniel as the new director of strength and conditioning beginning immediately, announced by UConn Athletic Communications in a release Tuesday.

“I’m really honored to be joining the UConn family,” Daniel said. “It’s a tremendous opportunity for me and I’m humbled to become part of it.”   

Daniel has more than 17 years of experience in athletic development and fitness at both the collegiate and professional levels. He most recently served as the of director of applied sports science with St. David’s Healthcare, an Austin medical center affiliated with University of Texas athletics. Daniel also served as the head strength and conditioning coach for the SMU men’s basketball program as well during the 2015-16 season.

“The experience that Carlos brings to our program in weight training and development at so many basketball levels is immeasurable,” UConn head coach Kevin Ollie said of the hiring. “His success throughout his career demonstrates how well he relates to the players he mentors. I’m excited to have him as a member of our UConn staff.”  

In addition to his time spent at St. David’s and SMU, Daniel has also worked personally with NBA All-Star Anthony Davis as the director of athletic development for the New Orleans Pelicans. He also spent one year with the San Antonio Spurs in addition to his five years with the Pelicans.

Daniel will presumably step into the role previously filled by strength and conditioning coach Travis Illian, who left the program to pursue other opportunities on Mar. 24. Illian was in charge of the team’s in-season and off-season weight training, conditioning and nutrition

Tyler Keating is associate sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering men’s basketball. He can be reached via email at tyler.keating@uconn.edu. He tweets @tylerskeating.