Recruiting profile: Tremont Waters could be the next great UConn guard

UConn was one of the seven schools Tremont Waters was considering prior to his commitment to Georgetown. However, Waters has asked for a release from his commitment. (Photo courtesy to Tremont Waters' Twitter)

Ray Allen, Richard Hamilton, Kevin Ollie, Ben Gordon, Khalid El Amin, Kemba Walker and Shabazz Napier. These are just a handful of the great guards in UConn Huskies men’s basketball history. The school has a history of unbelievable guard play and has a pretty good one on its roster right now in Jalen Adams. Could potential recruit Tremont Waters be the next great Huskies guard?

Waters is a diminutive point guard with a build similar to that of Boston Celtics’ point guard Isaiah Thomas. Standing at just 5 foot 11 inches and 165 pounds, Waters played locally at Notre Dame High School in New Haven, Connecticut and has incredible ball handling ability to go along with composure and a high basketball I.Q. that teams love to see in a point guard.

Waters has the ability to hit shots from all over the court and in several different fashions. Waters can shoot well off the dribble and on the catch-and-shoot is capable of creating his own shot by penetrating into the lane, despite his small stature. The point guard also has a decent shot from deep and is excellent in the mid-range, to complement his driving ability.

Perhaps the most important feature of Waters’ game is his floor vision. The high schooler has an uncanny ability to find open teammates and has been said to thread the needle with some of his passes, through even the most unlikely of angles. Such a trait would be a huge addition to the Huskies, who would get a big boost if Waters can find players like Adams and Terry Larrier in open space.

Waters was committed to UConn’s former Big East rival, the Georgetown Hoyas. However, a disappointing season for the Hoyas led to the firing of long-time coach John Thompson III. Not too soon afterwards, it was reported that Waters had asked the school for a release from his commitment.

The release process was a bit slow and in the meantime, the Hoyas hired former player and NBA star Patrick Ewing to see if Waters, and any other recruits, would decide stay with the school. Waters decision remained final and was granted release from his commitment just last week, which he confirmed in a tweet on April 6. 

According to William Paxton of Rivals.com, the Huskies are very much back in the mix for Waters. 

UConn was one of the seven schools Waters was considering prior to his commitment to Georgetown, and there is strong reason to believe that the Huskies are still in consideration for his signature. Assuming Waters’ list is the same as before, the other schools that are vying to recruit him will be Duke, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky and Yale.

Waters would be a huge recruitment for UConn, a team currently starved of scholarship players. Ranked first overall in the state of Connecticut and considered the eighth best point guard in the Class of 2017, Waters is an absolute must have for head coach Kevin Ollie on his staff. The 33rd overall recruit in the nation, according to ESPN, is the Huskies’ last chance at getting a decent recruiting class. Bringing Waters into the fold would be a big statement for Ollie and company. It would prove that he can still get good recruits and, if Waters is as good as advertised, could put UConn men’s basketball back on the map.

Chris Hanna is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.hanna@uconn.edu. He tweets @realchrishanna.