Softball edges out BC in midweek matchup

UConn pitcher Jill Stockley lets loose a pitch during Tuesday afternoon's game against Boston College at Burrell Family Field in Storrs. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

Jill Stockley pitched a complete game Tuesday as UConn softball defeated Boston College 3-2 in the Huskies’ first home game of the season.

BC came out early, scoring a run in the top of the first thanks to a hit, a steal and a UConn error. They came out firing again in the second, hitting two two-out extra base hits to tack on another run.

The Huskies didn’t stay down for long. Taylor Townsend led off and was hit by the pitch. After a sacrifice bunt moved her to second, Emma Stanley hit a bloop single into left field to advance the runner. Another hit-by-pitch loaded the bases for Kiwi McDaniels, who hit a single scoring two to tie the game. McDaniels also earned herself a steal later in the inning.

UConn scored again in the bottom of the fourth. A leadoff hit from Stanley, a single from Ally Hernandez, and a double off the bat of McDaniel pushed UConn to a 3-2 win. Stockley settled down in the later innings, giving up just one hit after the fourth. She improved her record to 5-8 on the season.

The star of the game was McDaniels who hit in all three runs and had impressive defensive play.

“We moved a couple of people around. I thought that Kiwi did a nice job in the leadoff spot today,” head coach Jen McIntyre said. “We put a typical leadoff hitter down in the middle of the order hoping that she could either generate a couple of RBIs or give us a restart in the middle. The bottom of our order did a nice job of turning it around. Ally was on base twice. Just to have some team offense all the way through was huge.”

UConn softball is set to head down to East Carolina for a three game American Athletic Conference series starting Thursday.

Rachel Schaefer is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.