VAWPP Gears up for Take Back the Night

The Violence Against Women Prevention Program (VWAPP) holds the annual event Take Back the Night in order to raise awareness about gender-based violence in honor of April being Sexual Assault Awareness Month. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut Violence Against Women Prevention Program (VAWPP)  is preparing for its annual Take Back the Night at 7 p.m., in the Student Union Ballroom on Wednesday evening.

Take Back The Night is a women’s empowerment event and provides a safe space for those who have encountered assault, sexual violence and rape in the past to speak out and share their stories, according to the UConn Women’s Center website. Also, the event aims to raise awareness about sexual and gender-based violence through protest and healing.

Last year’s Take Back The Night included a visit to Celeron Path, as part of the Celeron Path beautification project, where students helped to plant five cherry trees as a symbol of growth and renewal. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

This year’s event will start with an introduction by VAWPP and several invited speakers and performers. Later on, the group will hold a candlelight march around campus as a way to speak out against sexual violence and rape, and then reconvene for an opportunity for survivors to tell their stories in a late-night coffeehouse style talk, according to the Women’s Center website.

VAWPP has held previous events in order to prepare for this year’s Take Back the Night, including sign-painting at the UConn Women’s Center earlier in March.

Last year’s Take Back The Night included a visit to Celeron Path, as part of the Celeron Path beautification project, where students helped to plant five cherry trees as a symbol of growth and renewal.

Students of all genders, majors, ages and experiences are encouraged to attend and support their fellow classmates, according to the Women’s Center Website.

Marlese Lessing is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at marlese.lessing@uconn.edu. She tweets @marlese_lessing.