Women’s Lax takes on Marquette in weekday game

UConn junior Kelsey Catalano brings the ball up in a March 25th game against Georgetown at the Sherman Family Sports Complex. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

After winning on Saturday against Butler, the UConn women’s lacrosse team (4-8, 1-4 Big East) is looking for another win against Marquette on Wednesday at home at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex.

“Well, I think after any win you want to carry that momentum,” UConn head coach Katie Woods said. “We’ve had a tough stretch here so I think it was really good for the team to kind of be able to come out with a different team, a different game plan, a different mentality…Wednesday is a tough opponent.”

Marquette (4-9, 2-3 Big East) is coming off of a 12-18 loss to No. 13/13 Denver on Saturday.

The last two times the Huskies faced Marquette, UConn came out on top. Last year’s win was close with the Huskies winning 15-13.

“Marquette is a strong team and even though we’ve found success against them the last two seasons, they made us work very hard for it and the games could have gone either way,” Woods said.  “I am confident in the way that we’ve been practicing and feel that we’re prepared. When the whistle blows, we have to be ready to compete for 60 minutes.”

Wednesday’s game will be at noon, which Woods said is preferential to a later start time for a weekday game.

“This week’s game against Marquette is early so they won’t have too many distractions with a noon start,” Woods said. “I’m interested to see how the athletes do in that situation… I think it will be better than say a 3 p.m. start.”

A player to watch for the Golden Eagles is senior attacker Julianna Shearer. Shearer broke her own single-season record for goals scored in a single season at Denver on April 8. Shearer now has 39 goals this season and, 99 goals in her career. Shearer was also named to the Big East Weekly Honor Roll three times so far this season.

Another player to watch on Marquette is sophomore midfielder Grace Gabriel. Gabriel was named the Big East midfielder of the week the week of March 28. She tied a program record with a six-goal performance versus Temple.

The Golden Eagles are coached by Meredith Black, who is in her sixth year as head coach of the program. She oversaw Marquette lacrosse’s transition into an NCAA Division I sport in 2013. Prior to coming to Marquette, Black spent seven years as an assistant coach at Towson, Notre Dame, and the University of California-Berkeley.

In college Black played for Notre Dame and helped the Fighting Irish win their first two NCAA championship appearances in 2002 and 2004.

Mariana Dominguez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.