Lazy Boy on Campus: Terrifying thoughts about the future

"Lazy Boy On Campus" is a weekly column on how to embrace laziness while maintaining a jam packed schedule. Easy, right?

The sunrise over UConn’s Horsebarn Hill at 6:20 a.m. on Wednesday, April 12, 2017. The author stayed up all night to finish a photography portfolio assignment, heading home just in time for the day’s sunrise. (Francesca Colturi/The Daily Campus)

I went to bed at 6:00 a.m. yesterday (or, today). That is to say that I stayed up well past normal night hours on Tuesday and deep into the next morning. Like, so deep that the sun came up before I actually went to bed. Now I’m use to staying up late, especially on Tuesdays. Newspaper production never ends at a normal hour and tonight was no different – except that we were done around midnight.

Going to bed that late (or early) always sucks, but the one good thing is that when you fall into bed, the only thing you can think about is sleep. Unfortunately, that is not what happened with me. The only thing that I could think about was how little time I actually have to finish all my stuff.

I, like many college students, have a big final project to do for my senior year before graduation. Basically, this is like a senior thesis, except in my case, I have to create a final portfolio. I have to sort through all of my photos from my past few years and somehow choose the best 20. Some of them have to tell a story. That is also coupled with a massive senior project that I am part of as a portion of one of my classes; and all of this is for subjects that I am not receiving a degree for.

The point of this column is to not to complain about senior projects because after all, almost every single senior is going through the same thing. The point is to complain about the lack of time that anyone has nowadays. Don’t get me wrong, I love taking photos. In fact, I love it so much that I’m going into photojournalism when I graduate. Yet, even with all of that, I’m still freaking out about all of the stuff I have to do before the semester ends.

I feel like I’m running out of time to experience all the fun parts of senior year. And I am most certainly running out of time to be lazy. Everyone always says that senior year is the time to be a little lazy, especially because we are all affected by senioritis. The work is supposed to be semi-easy by that point.

Except it’s not. The work is not any easier. Based on all of the work that needs to be done, there is absolutely no time to be lazy or let yourself be affected by senioritis. And you know what? That is absolutely terrifying. I’ve lived my entire life being slightly lazy. Lazy enough that I could relax and think about the way things are going. I mean I’m so lazy that I sometimes order delivery from places in walking distance from wherever I am.

The idea that I am going to have to finish off my senior year without being lazy near the end is super depressing. College is going to be one of the last times that I get to be lazy. In a few months, I’m going to be working in some way, shape or form: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in a newsroom or an office somewhere.

At the end of the day, I just want to enjoy what I’m doing. You know that saying, “Do something you love and you’ll never work a day in your life?” Right now all I feel like I’m doing is working. I spent college never working. I enjoyed the work and the relaxing and the being lazy. I found a career that I wanted to pursue.

So yeah, I’m terrified for the future, but you know what? If being terrified means that I’ll eventually find a future that I enjoy, then so be it. I’ll take being terrified for a future of being happy. Even if that means staying up till 6:00 a.m.

Amar Batra is a senior staff photographer and opinion’s staff columnist for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email amar.batra@uconn.edu. He tweets at @amar_batra19.