No. 25 UConn travels to Tulane looking to stay perfect in American

UConn defeats Memphis 10-7 at J.O. Christian Field on Saturday, April 8, 2017. The huskies swept the series following a win over memphis on Sunday. (Amar Batra/ The Daily Campus)

Time and place: 7:30 p.m. Thursday, 7:30 p.m. Friday and 2 p.m. Saturday at Greer Field at Turchin Stadium in New Orleans.

Last meeting: UConn opened their conference season against Tulane last season, playing two games at J.O. Christian Field on April 1-2, 2016 before snow cancelled Game 3 of the series. The Huskies won the first game 9-4, but the Green Wave took Game 2, 14-5. Current UConn sophomore Tim Cate wasn’t at his best in the second game, lasting just 4.1 innings and giving up five earned runs on three hits and four walks. UConn leads the all-time series with Tulane 4-3.

UConn’s last time out: The Huskies lost 9-3 to Bryant on Tuesday afternoon. The Huskies came into the game riding high off a three-game sweep of Memphis and being nationally ranked for the first time this season. Ronnie Rossomando started the game and pitched well – five innings with only three hits and one run – but the bullpen struggled. Doug Domnarski, Ryan Radue and C. J. Dandeneau combined to give up eight runs on seven hits while recording just two outs in the sixth inning. Freshmen Chris Winkel and Connor Moriarty were responsible for all three UConn RBI.

Tulane’s last time out: Tulane was on the other side of a 9-3 result Tuesday, defeating nonconference opponent Nicholls State. Hunter Williams and Grant Brown each recorded two hits and two RBI in the game. Last weekend, the Green Wave won two of three games at Cincinnati, outscoring the Bearcats 22-10 in the first two games before falling 11-1 in the final game of the series.

Probable starting pitchers: UConn (19-11, 6-0 the American) vs. Tulane (14-18, 4-2 the American)

Friday: Tim Cate (3-1) vs. Sam Bjorngjeld (4-2)

Cate had another dominant performance on Friday, holding Memphis to two earned runs on five hits over seven innings. The sophomore ace has been solid all year, owning a 2.40 ERA and 1.07 WHIP on the season.

Bjorngjeld has made 14 appearances this season but has only made one start. He made two relief appearances against Cincinnati last weekend, pitching 3.1 innings and giving up two earned runs. On the season, Bjorngjeld owns a 6.04 ERA, giving up 23 hits in 22.1 innings.

Saturday: Wills Montgomerie (4-1) vs. Corey Merrill (4-2)

Last weekend, Montgomerie struggled against Memphis. The junior pitched just two innings, giving up six runs on seven hits and three walks. Before that start, Montgomerie had been rolling. He still ranks 23rd in Division I in strikeouts with 63 on the season.

Merrill has started eight games for Tulane. Most recently he pitched five innings against Cincinnati, recording the win while giving up three earned runs on seven hits. On the season, the senior owns a 4.53 ERA and leads the Green Wave with 42 strikeouts.

Sunday: Mason Feole (5-0) vs. J.P. France (3-3)

Mason Feole has been UConn’s hottest pitcher of late. The freshman has thrown 20 consecutive innings without allowing an earned run. In his last start, he pitched eight scoreless innings in an impressive performance against Memphis. Before that, he went seven innings against then-No. 16 East Carolina. Overall, Feole leads the Huskies in wins and leads starters with a 2.28 ERA.

France leads Tulane in innings pitched with 53, but he has given up 59 hits in the process. The redshirt junior had one of his best start of the season last time out, pitching seven innings and only allowing one earned run on seven hits and one walk.

Josh Buser is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.buser@uconn.edu.