The Huskies beat Marquette 17-14 in UConn’s home game

The Women's Lacrosse team defeated Marquette 17-14. Jacqueline Jordan and Grace Nolan both contributed 7 points. Their next match is at Cincinnati on April 15.  (Charlotte Lao/ The Daily Campus)

The Women’s lacrosse team took their second win in the Big East conference against Marquette’s Golden Eagles on Wednesday, April 12 at the Sherman Family Complex.

Senior attacker Jacqueline Jordan and junior attacker Grace Nolan both scored seven goals apiece, boosting UConn to a 17-14 win. This leaves the Huskies 5-8 for the season and 2-4 in the Big East conference, after their win against the Golden Eagles who are 4-10 and 2-4 in the Big East.

Marquette was the first on the board in the first 5:50 minutes of the first half, but UConn quickly tied this up with a score from sophomore midfielder Anna Costello followed by a goal from senior attacker Maggie Tripodi.

At the end of the first half, the Huskies led the Golden Eagles 9-7 with a goal from freshman midfielder Olivia Shapiro and a hat trick by Grace Nolan. Nolan finished the game with four goals and three assists.

The Huskies defeated Marquette 17-14 on Wednesday, April 12.  Pictured is freshman, Olivia Miles (number 1) vs Marquette opponenets.  (Charlotte Lao/ The Daily Campus)

Sophomore attacker Cait Leary scored first for the Huskies at the start of the second half, finishing the game with two goals. Senior Maggie Tripodi also finished the home game with a pair of goals.  With 20:25 left to play, UConn scored five unanswered goals, bringing their lead 14-7. Jacqueline Jordan scored four of these goals within the second half

With 6:19 left to play, the UConn lead fell to two points after four straight goals from Marquette, bringing the score to 16-14. UConn held onto their lead with another goal from Jordan in the last 2:02 of the game. The Huskies held a 46-30 shot advantage and made five turnovers within the game.

Freshman goalkeeper Grace Beshlian recorded 8 saves in total, six of which were in the second half.

UConn will now have the opportunity for another Big East Win in their matchup against Cincinnati’s Bearcats. The Bearcats are currently 5-9 in the season and 1-5 in the Big East.

Pictured is freshman, Olivia Miles (number 1) vs Marquette opponents.  (Charlotte Lao/ The Daily Campus)

Key players to watch for in Saturday’s game include freshman attacker Monica Borzillo, with 65 points, 34 goals and 31 assists. Close behind Borzillo is senior attacker Elaina Enick with 23 points, 22 goals and one assist for the season.     

The Huskies will face the Bearcats on Saturday, April 15 at the Sheakley Athletic Center in Cincinnati.

Kristina Carretero is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kristina.carretero@uconn.edu.