Drink of the Week: The Yard Goat

The Yard Goat incorporates blueberries and mint to match the blue and green of Hartford's new minor league baseball team. The original drink also features vodka and champagne with the hopes of leaving zero fans disappointed. (Photo courtesy of simplyseasonal.com)

We Connecticut cranks accept any excuse to drink and forget our worries as a tiny rich state, with no professional sports team to call our own. Today is opening day of our capital’s Hartford Yard Goats against the New Hampshire Fisher Cats in the long-awaited Dunkin’ Donuts Park.

With a simple title, this drink incorporates everything the Yard Goat baseball fan needs: blueberries and mint for the team’s colors, champagne to raise your spirits, vodka to make it count and lemonade to sweeten up our New England disdain for others. And you don’t have to limit consumption to pre- and post-game activities. Take it to the garden parties, to the darties and the dorms because it’s the only insurance left in the state to guarantee you’ll have a good time. Win or lose, there’s always booze. Just remember to drink responsibly, because the ballpark won’t be the only thing blacking out if you tailgate with this Connecticut concoction.

Ingredients:

• Mint
  • Blueberries
  • 1 oz. Blueberry Stoli vodka
  • Champagne
  • Lemonade (more sweet, than sour)
  • Ice

Directions:

• Muddle vodka, about five blueberries and a sprig of mint in the bottom of your glass.
  • Add vodka and fill the glass one-third of the way lemonade.
  • Fill glass with ice and top with champagne.
  • Stir thoroughly.

Enjoy!

Francesca Colturi is associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at francesca.colturi@uconn.edu.