UConn gears up for weekend conference series at ECU

The Huskies take on the Boston College Eagles Tuesday afternoon at Burrill Family Field in Storrs, CT.  The Huskies held on to their 3-2 lead to win the game, moving their season total to 14-19. (Tyler Benton/ The Daily Campus)

The Huskies softball team (14-19) will head down to North Carolina to take on ECU (20-23) Thursday and Friday at 6 p.m. and Saturday at 12 p.m. The team will look to build upon an impressive win against Boston College Tuesday.

Freshman star Kiwi McDaniel provided all of the offensive firepower Tuesday, knocking in all three runs. She now has a .283 batting average to go along with her three homers and 12 RBI’s.

Sophomore Jill Stockley bounced back in a huge way for the Huskies on Tuesday. She hurled a complete game, allowing only one earned run against a team that boasts five hitters with a batting average over .300.

ECU’s offense is predicated on power. They have 52 homers compared to UConn’s 20. Alex Mycek leads the team in home runs at 14, but Meredith Burroughs comes in as a close second at 12. ECU has a team batting average of .264, but opponents are batting .314 against them.

UConn head coach Jen McIntyre said the team will have to limit ECU offensively.

“It’s key to keep the ball in the ball park,” McIntyre said. “I always say that there are two things you can’t defend: walks and home runs. As long as we give the defense a chance, I think we will be in pretty good shape. I think it’s going to be a pretty tough matchup.”

ECU’s weakness is its pitching staff. It is vital for UConn to put up runs because ECU’s offense can score in bunches.

Leading the way for ECU’s pitching staff is Lydia Ritchie, who owns a 2.94 ERA and a 12-10 record. Ritchie has been a workhorse for them, as she has already accumulated 143 innings. Behind Ritchie, they have Megan Mills, who has a 2-0 record and an ERA of 4.20.

After a deflating weekend in Houston, the Huskies showed they would continue to fight and be scrappy in the win against Boston College, language which McIntyre has used several times to characterize the team throughout the season.

UConn will look to ride into the ECU series with the confidence they gained with the big win against Boston College.

Michael Logan is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.