Tapping the Keg: Sixpoint Craft Ales’ Sweet Action Ale

“Tapping the Keg” is a weekly review of craft beers brought to you by staff writer Dan Wood.

The author reviewed Sixpoint's Sweet Action ale in this week's Tapping the Keg. Sixpoint is a Brooklyn-based brewery, but UConn students can purchase its beer at the local liquor stores around campus. (Vedanti/Creative Commons)

After reviewing another one of Sixpoint’s well known beers, Bengali, I am excited to taste and present Sweet Action, another flagship brew of the Brooklyn-based brewery. Along with Crisp and Bengali, this beer is typically the first to appear on shelves from Sixpoint’s distributors. Their limited releases and newer brews are usually harder to find, but that shouldn’t discourage you from trying any one of these beers to get an idea about what Sixpoint is capable of.

Again, gotta love the simplicity of the packaging. Usually a single-color theme coupled with a uniform design motif, Sixpoint’s beers are easy to identify and all the information you want to know about the beer is right up front, not to be outdone by the creative seals that each beer is assigned to reflect the name or style of beer. For example: Bengali had a tiger seal, where as Sweet Action has a heart nestled at the top of a wheat frond.

From the brewers: “Through all the madness emerged an undefinable beer called Sweet Action; a beer that your brain cannot categorize, but instead speaks directly to your palate. Our senses and intuition sometimes trump rational thought. It’s mad Science.”

This is pretty spot on as far as the flavor itself goes: not an explosive beer by any means, but anything but simple despite its familiar ale qualities.

When poured from the can, this beer is a nice, bright pumpkin-orange with a little cloudiness, topped with a medium head of fine bubbles that dissipate into a ring around the outside of the glass. The nose is extremely complex. It gives us little notes of Bosc pear, hibiscus, hints of bitter citrus, red fruit and a backbone of lychee. The top does not confirm much of the nose, as it is very mellow and imparts notes of spring flowers like lily. Though I could be projecting, this beer is great in the spring and summer time. The middle gives rise to a malty, sugarcane sweetness that transitions into a finish reminiscent of apple jam.

Due to the pleasant balance that this ale possesses, its pairing options are pretty wide. Just stay away from anything that would have an incredibly strong flavor as a stand-alone ingredient like an aged steak, or something dark and intense like mushrooms or cocoa. This beer is much too light for those, but still has complexity and body enough for most medium to mild flavors. That being said, this beer would be great on a hot day at the beach with an Italian sub and some salty kettle chips. Along those same lines, this beer would be great for a beer can chicken on a charcoal grille and can be bridged in a BBQ sauce for basting if desired. Sweet Action would also make a fantastic base to a beer battered fried cod with fries.

This beer is 5.2 percent ABV and is available at Price Chopper, Storrs Wine and Spirits and Village Spirit Shoppe for around $10. It’s great local flavor and a bang for your buck.

Overall rating: 8/10

Dan Wood is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.wood@uconn.edu.