Women’s Lax: Nolan and Jordan shine in win

The Women's Lacrosse team defeated Marquette 17-14. Jacqueline Jordan and Grace Nolan both contributed 7 points. Their next match is at Cincinnati on April 15.  (Charlotte Lao/ The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s lacrosse team (5-8, 2-4 Big East) defeated Marquette (4-10, 2-4 Big East) 17-14 on Wednesday behind seven points apiece from attackers Jacqueline Jordan and Grace Nolan.

“I think for us, for things we’ve been working on we really showed those well today, which was exciting to see,” UConn head coach Katie Woods said.

Nolan, a junior, had four goals and three assists in the game, including a hat trick in the first half. She has long been an offensive power for the Huskies leading the team in points last season. She also earned various honors last season, including being named to the IWCLA All-Northeast Region First Team, Big East Co-Attacker of the Year and being a unanimous selection to the All-Big East First Team.

Pictured is UConn sophomore, Grace Nolan (number 10) vs Marquette opponents Wednesday April 12.  (Charlotte Lao/ The Daily Campus)

Last game against Butler, Nolan hit the 100 career-goal milestone. She has 35 goals so far this season.

Jordan, a senior, led the team in goals for the game with five, four of which came in the second half. She also tallied two assists, and currently has 30 goals on the season.

“I think she did well,” Woods said of Jordan. “She did a great job on the draw. She comes up with a lot of those hustle plays and I think she was able to take things from our game plan and put them into her play, which I think allowed her a lot of opportunity for success.”

UConn was able to withstand a five-goal run from Marquette in the second half, putting the Eagles within two with six minutes left. Jordan snapped the scoreless streak with a goal in a little over two minutes left to play.

The Women's Lacrosse team defeated Marquette 17-14. Players celebrate after their success.  (Charlotte Lao/ The Daily Campus)

“Lacrosse is a game of runs and I think we had ours,” Woods said. “We allowed them to go on a run and I think we did a pretty good job of staying composed and focused throughout that. Even if they did get some goals in that run, we were able to finish the game.”

Marquette remained scoreless for the rest of the game.

Up next for the Huskies is Cincinnati at 12 p.m. on Saturday.

Mariana Dominguez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.