Softball: Huskies drop series opener to East Carolina

UConn first baseman Carli Culter (13) attempts to force an out on Boston College's Lexi DiEmmanuele (23) during the Huskies 3-2 victory over the Eagles on April 11, 2017. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)  

The UConn softball team (14-20, 1-5 The American) was swept by American Athletic Conference rival East Carolina by a 4-0 score in the series opener between the two teams Thursday night at ECU Softball Stadium in Greenville, North Carolina.

Katie Koshes started and took the loss for the Huskies, going 2.2 innings and allowing four earned runs on three hits and three walks. Lydia Ritchie threw a complete game shutout for the Pirates, allowing just two hits over her seven innings of work while striking out six batters.

East Carolina got on the board in the first inning when Kacie Oshiro smashed a solo home run to put her team up 1-0.

The Pirates extended their lead to 4-0 when Ally Ramirez connected on a three-run home run in the third inning, knocking Koshes out of the game and bringing Chelsea Eckert out of the bullpen in relief.

Eckert performed admirably as the replacement, keeping the Pirates off the scoreboard over 3.1 innings of work, allowing only two hits and three walks. She also struck out one batter.

However, the Huskies could not climb back into the game, as Ritchie was stellar on the mound at her home park.

Only one UConn batter recorded a hit: Carli Cutler, who singled and doubled in three at-bats. Cutler almost managed to come home having reached third base in the seventh inning, but Emma Stanley struck out swinging to end the Huskies’ threat and the ballgame.

Valerie Sadowl was the only other Husky batter to reach base, as she walked in the fourth inning.

Ramirez led the East Carolina with three RBIs. Oshiro was the only Pirate to record multiple hits, and she also scored two runs.

UConn and East Carolina will continue their three-game series Friday night at 6 p.m.

Tyler Keating is associate sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at tyler.keating@uconn.edu. He tweets @tylerskeating.

Chris Hanna is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.hanna@uconn.edu. He tweets @realchrishanna.